Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I can't edit a spline

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jnegri
442 Views, 2 Replies

Help! I can't edit a spline

I've got a file with one very large spline in it. I've deleted everything else from the file. I need to be able to edit the spline, but when I select it, the program locks up. What should I do?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jnegri

Hi,

your spline has >32000 control vertizes, that is much higher than usefull (in my opinion).

To make your cursor not stopping switch sysvar SELECTIONPREVIEW to 0.

And to make the edit's and the selection faster:

Close the property window, disable the quick property window if activated.

Either you split the spline into segments or you convert the spline to a polyline

The prinziple question is: why are there that many vertizes? Is that precision needed anywhere?
Or might cleaning tools help, that reduce the vertizes, e.g. if there are more vertizes along a straight path?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 3
jnegri
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for the quick response. The high vertex count is an artifact of the process used to create the site plan it came from. In photoshop I traced roads and parking outlines over an aerial photo, converted them into vector, & brought them into Illustrator to create graphics. Now I need to convert the site plan to dwg for consultants to use. If you zoom in close on the spline in my file, you'll see that the line is very jagged - a result of creating a vector line traced along the edge of many many pixels.

I'm expecting to receive a new cad site plan soon, but am trying to quickly provide the consultants with something to work with. Are there cleaning tools in autocad architecture? I used to have a plugin that let me clean polylines by setting line segments to a minimum length, but I don't have the plugin any longer.

James

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost