Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPs to AutoCAD

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cadtechnw
1110 Views, 5 Replies

GPs to AutoCAD

Seriously, can anyone tell me how I can convert the information from a Garmin GPS unit into AutoCAD?  It seems like it should be easier than this.  I don't want to buy GIS or other programs.  I know there must be a simple way to do this?  Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: cadtechnw

You only have plain AutoCAD? Not Civil or Map variants?
Your GPS not come with conversion software?
Message 3 of 6
Murph_Map

Depending on what type and model of GPS unit you have, the older ones came with a software named Map Source that had an export to DXF. It's no longer availalbe and was replaced by Base Map which is all clound base and no export features that I see. If you google/bing geocacheing sites you may find a few links to conversion software for sale. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 6
cadtechnw
in reply to: Murph_Map

I only have regular AutoCAD.  It's a Garmin GPS, I don't know which model but it's new and bought by my client.  It has basecamp software and it can't save to dxf like you said.  Thanks for the information.  I would think it would be a routine thing AutoCAD could do without buying a $300 program to convert it.  If you know of cheaper ones let me know.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
Murph_Map

Take a look at Mapworks here. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 6
dgorsman

Think of vanilla AutoCAD like a build-it-yourself Swiss Army knife.  It is built with a framework that allows customization to do a great many things.  Exactly what that customization is, gets left to the end-user so there isn't a whole bag of useless tools being carted around.  For example I have little use for GPS tools, and I suspect you have very little use for process piping tools.  But AutoCAD can do both, and do them well, with the appropriate additions.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost