Ghost Viewport

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
GreyRider
3754 Views, 12 Replies

Ghost Viewport

Hello,

A Polygonal Viewport was created in Paper Space.

Select Viewport and List says this Viewport is two items?

From Paper Space, with Viewport Layer On, execute the MSpace command, everything looks OK.

From Paper Space, with Viewport Layer Off, execute the MSpace command and a "ghost" Viewport appears.

Any ideas on how this can be corrected and the "ghost" Viewport deleted?

A sample is attached.

Thank you.

Bill

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Patchy
in reply to: GreyRider

Try VPCLIP, pick the viewport then D for delete.

Message 3 of 13
drjohn

Maybe this?

What layer are your MVIEW frames on? Are they on a layer that is turned off when you see the GHOST FRAME?

If there is no frame visible for the MVIEW then ACAD will make a border if you click inside the viewport to let you know what the boundaries of the MVIEW are. They should turn off after yuo exit MSPACE and return to PSPACE. 

If not, then the frames are on a viewable layer and will print unless you have them on a non-printing layer.  I use defpoints layer to keep my MVIEW frames on and they never print but I can see where my MVIEWS are bordered. Alot of others will not agree to having defpoints layer as the MVIEW border layer but it has served me well for alotta years.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, bottom line is if there are no MVIEW frames on a displaying layer then the prog will make a GRDRAW around the mview when in MSPACE in that view. It doesn't print.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 4 of 13
GreyRider
in reply to: drjohn

The viewport is on a viewport layer and the layer color is yellow. The viewport is drawn on top of the paper border. I have been turning the viewport layer off but, yes, when the layer is off the "ghost" viewport displays. I think the best solution maybe to change the viewport layer color to black so it blends with the Paper border and to leave the Viewport layer on. Thanks for your help1

Message 5 of 13
drjohn

One more shot in the dark ... have you tried typing PSPACE when you see the "ghost" mview? If you can manipulate the entities and you are seeing a titleblock in a layout tab then you are in MSPACE going thru the viewport and it will show a frame. It shouldn't print. If you change from MSPACE to PSPACE the "ghost frame" should go away. Might want to strip that drawing of any confidential work and post it here. Regards, DJ
Message 6 of 13
hwalker

Polygonal Viewports are ALWAYS 2 items.

One item is the viewport itself. The other item is the Polyine that Autocad creates to clip the viewport to

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: hwalker

Rectangular MVIEWS are always 2 times as well.  The MVIEW and the polyline that creates it.

I guess what I am trying to ascretain from the OP is whether he is in the viewport with MSPACE and since he is doing that "one MVIEW per page" type layout it is quite possible that he is in MSPACE and seeing the viewport rather than the PLINE that created it IMHO.

Regards,

DJ

Message 8 of 13
GreyRider

Yes, the ghost viewport does not print, and it is not seen in model space either. It only shows on the layout tab when cutting through paper space into model space. It is not a big deal, but it is annoying. An example is attached to my original post.

Message 9 of 13
GreyRider
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks, yes was just reading about that. Surprisingly enough, a viewport is two items, just as you described.

Message 10 of 13
drjohn

OK ... that's what I was thinking it was. So the next time you see the "ghost" try typing in PSPACE.  That should make the "ghost" go away.

Message 11 of 13
drjohn

Sorry ... didn't notice the sample in the first post.  My bad.

The viewport border is exactly what it is.   The line you see going thru your titleblock will disappear if you go back into PSPACE.

You can make polygonal MVIEWS if you want and go around your title block and the "Ghost" MVIEW will not show.

Also, my 2 cents:

I would recommend that you make individual viewports in tight around the view you want rather than a single viewport around the entire Tblock. Makes it easier to handle IMHO.

Regards,

DJ

Message 12 of 13
GreyRider

Thanks for the help. I do think the best approach will be to change the viewport layer from yellow to black and then leave it on, not turn it off. That way there will be no ghost.

Message 13 of 13
rajat.rajsingh

Danke Schöne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost