Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Value of a String User Parameter in a Block

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Santos1503
1314 Views, 5 Replies

Get Value of a String User Parameter in a Block

I am making a note block that has 2 options where the choices can be A to F on both of them.  If I use visibilities for all of the options, I will have 36 different visibilities.

If I create a user parameter that is a string type, is there a way that I can get that value into a field?  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: Santos1503

@Santos1503 wrote:

If I create a user parameter that is a string type, is there a way that I can get that value into a field?  

Without seeing an example, I'm guessing at your intent but you should be able to.  Field > Object > Select Your Block Reference > Your User Parameter should be listed in the middle column of the field dialog box.

Message 3 of 6
Santos1503
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Here is the block I am trying to make.  The user parameter that I am trying to get the value from is inside the block itself.  As you can see in the block I am pulling the numerical values from inside the block itself but haven't found a way to extract the string values.

Message 4 of 6
Jason.Piercey

I'm not sure I understand the problem.

As an example:

Field > under field category select Objects > under field name select Object > in the middle column under object type hit the Select Object button > select the block reference > then select Design_Category from the middle column and press OK.

That places the value of user parameter named Design_Category into a field.

Am I missing something?

Message 5 of 6
Santos1503
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Select the block & under Properties you can change all of the values.  When you regen all of the numerical values in the block will update, but I can't find a way to update the (2) alpaha variables.

In order to have the values read from the block like you said earlier, I would need another text object with a field to get the value from the block I all ready have.  It is one way to do it, but I was trying just to get it done with 1 object.

Message 6 of 6
Jason.Piercey

I understand now.  Hmmm.  I don't know of a way off the top of my head, but I'll give it some more thought.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost