Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full path, relative path

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zippy216
2015 Views, 4 Replies

Full path, relative path

Im trying to fix a problem with xref'ing our border to drawings.  first let me explain.  Our company file structure is set up as the project number / project description as the base folder with subfolders such as design/drafting, management, reference, etc. Under Design /drafting we have individual discipline folders, each of which has the subfolders: 3D Models, Drawings, etc.  All of our finished drawings are stored in the Drawings folder along with any 2d master backgrounds, and models are stored in the 3D Model folder.  We also have a Border folder under Design Drafing which is where the project border and templates are stored.

In most cases we only brovide Bound copies of the finished drawings in autoCAD format and a PDF copy.  When doing this the full path for Xref's is used.  However, our current client also requires us to provide all AutoCAD models and masterfiles along with the unbound finished drawings when the project is complete and wants all xref's to use relative path.

I created a template with the border file xref'd along with all standard layers, attributes, etc.  When I create a drawing the border file is not found.  I have to detach the border, save the drawing and attach the border file with relative path to get the bodere to display.

When we deliver everything at the conclusion of the poject will the drawings be able to see the xref's even though they are located in different folders?  I have read the help and my users manual and the y both say that xref's will be found if they reside in the same folder.  If this is true then the border and files from other disciplines will not be found?  Is this true?  Or if we delivered all of the drawings to the client in one folder, say DRAWINGS, along with the border then everything would be found, right?

PLease help

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
braudpat
in reply to: zippy216

Hello from France

Not sure to well understand your problem, but I will try to help you ...

If the DWG / Images / PDF / etc in XREF are in the SAME folder as the MAIN DWG : no problem !

Because ACAD will try to load 1st the XREFs from their original pathes (absolute or relative) and if not found it will search for then besides the main DWG ...

or it will try too (If I remember well) all pathes from the SUPPORT files (OPTIONS / 1st Tab "Files" / 1st option PATH)

Other solution : Do you know the PROJECTNAME Sytem var ?

and New PROJECTNAME and ALL associated pathes what you can specify ? - OPTIONS / 1st Tab "Files" / 5th option with many PROJECTNAME and many pathes for each PROJECTNAME 

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jggerth1

Ok, first question:  are you using SSM to mange the sheets in the project?  

Second question: are you using etransmit to bundle up the dwg etc for delivery?

- there's no need to 'detacha nd reattach' the xref border.  When it comes up not found on creating (and saving the new sheet to its proper location on your server) simply repath it in the xref dialog, using dot and slashes as required to set a relative patch from the sheet location to the border location.

So, for q:\1245\design\\structural\sheet\s1-1.dwg for the sheet file, and the xref boder in q:\1245\design\boder.dwg -- when the border xref is not found, simply browse to its location, and step back up the directory tree with ..\ for each parent directory.  ending up with a save path to border.dwg of ..\..\border.dwg

Message 4 of 5
jggerth1
in reply to: jggerth1

oh yeah -- ALWAYS attach your xrefs, images, pdfs, etc with Relative Paths.  full paths invariably create problems down the road - and are only needed if the resource being attached in on a different drive letter than the active drawing.

Message 5 of 5
fateyo

is your client necessary to keep the same folder structure as your company?

if no, you can issue your drawings by etransmit and put all files in one folder will be fine.

when all drawings, pdf, image ....etc put in the same folder. AutoCAD can find all referenced objects.

of course you should have a good file naming system to prevent any duplicated file.

remember "One object should only appear once in your server"

in the latest working folder nothing should have revision or date.

In the issue / outgoing folder you can keep files or folders with revision, date or anything you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost