Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floating/Moving Parts

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
isaacc
3786 Views, 15 Replies

Floating/Moving Parts

Why does this always happen to parts? I know AutoCAD can't be this bugged for everybody or nobody would use it. Basically what happens is I make a model, save it, insert it into a new drawing and make arrangements of different parts. Randomly, I will insert something (like this part) that was totally fine and looked great even after I saved it and it will be all jacked up and parts of it wil be strewn all over the place with no discernable reason for it. When I delete the part and open the original part file I was trying to insert, it is all messed up just like it was once it was inserted. The attached picture is what it looks like in the original part file, no going back it's saved like that. If I move it in shaded view to the right spot it is wrong in wireframe and vice-versa. It is definitely not my PC's fault, gotta be the way I am drawing or the fact that I'm on a network drive that could have a low quality network or something. Any ideas?Error1.JPG

Also it shows them selected in their original place, it just did this again to a different piece while this post was uploading...

Error2.JPG

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
isaacc
in reply to: isaacc

Message 3 of 16
nestly2

If you have not done so already, you should log a support request with Autodesk with links to this and your other topic.

My first impression is that there's some 3rd party software affecting your 3D solids.

Message 4 of 16
zalant

Isaac,

We've worked with your drawing here, and I've attached the results of our tinkering.  I found that by exploding the solids, and then undo-ing the EXPLODE command, it did away with the alternate (invisible) content, and then I could move the remaining content into place.  I unlocked everything and deleted the invisible blocks, which appeared to contain nothing anyway.  Then I ran PURGE and -PURGE (for regapps) and the resultant file is zipped up and attached to this posting.  Please let me know if it works for you upon opening it.  

Zac Travis
Message 5 of 16
adrijpsoares
in reply to: zalant

I have the same problem. Creating a multileaf spring, the 2 rear clips jumped out of place. If one selects these clips, you can notice a gost image with dashed lines on the places they were and should be. This is happening many times as I am making a cathalog using rendered images of springs. Please you help on this one.

Message 6 of 16
zalant
in reply to: adrijpsoares

It's the same kind of thing with this drawing.  If you EXPLODE the solid and then UNDO the EXPLODE, the object will be all contained in the same spot again.  I did that and repositioned the objects near where they were originally.  There might be some slight inaccuracies with the placement, but that should be easy enough to correct.

Zac Travis
Message 7 of 16
knmdk

Well you're not alone with this issue. Have a look at my thread.

Message 8 of 16
adrijpsoares

If you explode the object, it will remain on the new position, not on the original position where  it was supposed to be. So you have to move it back aproximately to the original position, it will not be a precise position. If later I intend to use this object on Mechanical, for loads and rate, I will find out the the "touching" object is no longer touching. And if the touching surface was generated by LOFT command, it will be impossible to uses solid snaps. So the Explode command may be a temporary solution until Autodesk gets a solution for this. Thanks anyway fo helping 

Message 9 of 16
nestly2
in reply to: adrijpsoares

Agreed.

EXPLODE > UNDO may provide some relief in that the objects don't have to be re-created, but it's not a solution.  It's simply a method to eliminate the ghosting.  It does not address the reason for the ghosting, or what caused the object to move from it's original location.  I would hope the two drawings in this thread will be examined by Autodesk to identify and correct the source of the anomoly.

Message 10 of 16
C_Brownlie
in reply to: nestly2

Sorry to dig up this old topic, but the issue persists in Autocad 2015. I've wasted many weeks worth of work due to this issue, but have slowly found it to be reasonably predictable and therefor avoidable. Hopefully this info could be helpful to others.

The cause is the act of saving a DWG. If you translate (move, mirror, rotate etc) a solid, then save the DWG, there is a chance the DWG is incorrectly/corruptly written to disk (while the DWG in memory in Autocad is still good). Opening a corrupt DWG where the trouble really begins.

Workarounds involve never saving:

- Select all, copy with basepoint, paste into new file, save that (first save of a DWG never seems to go bad).

- use EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command, which never saves corruptly.

Message 11 of 16

Problem persists in AutoCAD 2016.

Here is a thread I made before I found this one:

Disappearing 3D Solids

I guess this is going to be like the Viewport bugs that will never ever get fixed?

-Inno

Message 12 of 16

Gents,

I'm having same problem - m using Civil 3D 2014 and my model includes aecc object and 3D solids also, When I completed my model and tried to set up in viewport it shows broken 3D parts, I tried to export it to ACAD and in ACAD it was working okay but I need to include the aecc objects at the same time which is killing.... I can't split aecc and 3D solids into two files. 

I tried a lot to find the way or reason why its happening but sill nothing found....

Please update here if anyone find the solution.

Khalil

Message 13 of 16

Hello everybody

Problem still persist in autocad 2018 also 2019 and so on...

we have this problem allready for several years and tried everything.

from changing computers, to changing parts, switching from nvidia quadro 4000 to nvidia gtx 1080...

bought new pc's, clean installs, updates/downgrade...

But everytime the problem comes back, somethimes immediatly or after weeks/months.

We constantly work in eachothers drawings (4-5 users) but only 3 are infected with this bug.

we also tried multiple solutions discribed above or on other blogs.

but these are just giving a bit of hope if the bug already happened.

and most off the tmes lead to redoing the drawing.

see pictures in attachment.

when you open the drawing it looks good.

But the moment you orbit, everything moves out of place.

and the blue marks stay in the wright place.

has a solution already been found or workaround?

ps we are starting to think moving to other cad alternatives because we do not have any certainty anymore.

and mistakes are being made because objects are moving in our drawings.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

I too have had this same problem, one I've been battling with both 2018 & 2019 versions. Generally I work in 2D, but 3 out of 5 models I do create will suffer this problem, will Autodesk do anything to fix this? As others have described I have had to redraft entire models, so much so that I have been shying away from 3D modelling if I can at all avoid it...

As other people have suggested it seems to be fairly random, one other person in my office uses AutoCAD and his models are unaffected, I will try the suggestions made here, but I fear the randomness will persist.

Has anyone found any other work arounds?   

Message 15 of 16
christophe
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,
Already re-installed autocad 3 times on 3 different pc's.
Replaced the graphical cards with others, and so on...
We re did all our templates started form scratch...
The problem keeps getting back
We are thinking of moving to Bricscad, cause it's almost impossible to redo every drawing and we can not predict what drawing is infected.

Message 16 of 16
j.winiarski
in reply to: christophe

This is still an issue in 2019 that I run into pretty regularly. An earlier post from @C_Brownlie seems to be accurate. I am guessing that this is an issue with inaccurate data in the save file, likely writing to a server, potentially caused by issues with write time. It appears to happen when you build the 3D object in one spot and then move it around the 0,0,0 point and then save the file, as half of my objects in the assembly are where they belong and the other half are where I originally built the assembly.

I have found that the easiest solution (aside from avoiding moving the objects), is to just edit the grips of the out of place object. If you click the grip (which appear floating in the objects correct location), then place it back in the same spot (using osnap) the object will pop back to where it belongs, and then you can save the file again. This is inconvenient, but it's faster than trying to move the objects around.

Also, The explode + undo option doesn't work for me.

What might also help avoid this is by putting the 3D object assembly into a block, but I haven't tested this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost