Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLATSHOT

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
russ
902 Views, 14 Replies

FLATSHOT

I've been asked by @AutodeskHelp on Twitter to post this in the hope that there's a solution

The attached file shows the problem.

If you rescale a block using it's properties. Then use FLATSHOT to generate a view (2D or 3D). The rescaled block reverts back to it's original dimensions

In this instance it could have resulted in a services hole being cut in the wrong place in a S/S top, but I imagine it could be a more costly mistake in different industries

Any fixes

Regards

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: russ

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

Can you upload your drawing and let us know, what AutoCAD version and servicepack you are using?

The JPG is not a file that helps us to see what object types you have in your block/your drawing.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 15
russ
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi

I will do shortly, but I had somebody elese check it out and it's not just me, I'm sure you can replicate the problem

It's AC2013 (where do I find the Service Pack info?)

Russ

Message 4 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> It's AC2013

Do you mean AutoCAD 2013 or ACA2013 (AutoCAD Architecture)?

>> where do I find the Service Pack info?

Start AutoCAD, run command _ABOUT ==> there you (should) see the exact version (and so the servicepack) that is installed

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 15
nestly2

My experience with FLATSHOT (and I use it frequently), is that it can not be used to project non-uniformly scaled 3D blocks.  If there's a solution, I'm unaware... sorry

Message 6 of 15
russ
in reply to: nestly2

Hmmmm, I'd hoped for better when I parted with over £4000 😞

Thanks for coming back to me though

Russ

Message 7 of 15
russ

Hi again

It's AutCAD 2013 SP2

Attached file indicates the problem

Message 8 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> it can not be used to project non-uniformly scaled 3D blocks

Yep, none-uniform scaled blocks are not evaluated correct, the projected result looks like the block was scaled uniformly.

BUT I had no problem that any block (the original 3D block, that is how I understood the question) was reverted to it's original scale after running the command. So I guess I need the drawing.

My sample is attached.

>> I'd hoped for better when I parted with over £4000

What do you want to do with that geometry? There are more methods to get a 2D visualisation of a 3D-object, but it depends on what your goal is!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 15
russ

Well in this particular example I was trying to illustrate to a client what his rear counter would look like by using a generic block and rescaling to the size of the coffee machine he was buying, rather than drawing another block

Also, I had planned to generate a manufacturing drawing indicating the services ports under said coffee machine

(It was the fact that when I saw the coffee machine didn't cover their positions that made me notice flatshot doesn't work correctly)

Message 10 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Also, I had planned to generate a manufacturing drawing

You might try command _VIEWBASE instead (>>>details<<<).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 15
nestly2

In this particular example, you could apply the same scale to the projected block as you applied to the original block and the results in TOP, FRONT, LEFT etc views would be the same as if FLATSHOT had projected the scaled block properly.  Unfortunately, this is not so easy when projecting a non-orthogonal view.

Message 12 of 15
russ

Ahh, this looks interesting

I'll have a proper play later but it certainly handles the scaling correctly

Is there any way to get the projected views disassociated with the model and back into model space so that I can let people have 2D information withough giving 3D constructional information away?

Thanks for this

Russ

Message 13 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Is there any way to get the projected views disassociated with the model and back into model space

Start command _EXPORTLAYOUT and you get a new drawing based on the (visible) content of the layout.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 15
russ

(Sorry for replying and then deleting the post - I answered the wrong post)

That would be a workaround, a little fiddly since I'd have to flatshot the coffee machine (scaled) on its own and then the counter on which it sits (unscaled) and then re-combine them

But it would work.

Thanks

Russ

Message 15 of 15
russ

You total star sir 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost