Did you mean: 

FLATSHOT ISSUE

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jrusso
3901 Views, 9 Replies

FLATSHOT ISSUE

I'm having an issue with flatshots in AUTOCAD 2015.  All my objects are solids but they don't all show up on the flatshot.  If I create a flatshot, then delete it and alter the original solids, fewer of the solids show the next time I make a flatshot and the ones that disappear aren't event the ones I've just edited.  This happens sometimes even if all I do is move the objects.

Also, the flatshot seems to be created on some imaginary plane.  In previous revisions the flatshot was created on the last X,Y,Z plane viewed, meaning that if I show the object in top view then use 3d orbit to find an angle that shows all the parts I want to see, when I create my flatshot and return to top view it should look just how I  want it.  Now I use the same technique and it seems skewed as if it's on the correct plane but it's rotated in 3d space.

See attached.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
darawork
in reply to: jrusso

I did see the imaginary cutting plane when I flatshotted the model first. Then I used ddvpoint to change the viewing angle, flatshotted again and it seemed to work ok. I think you just had a weird viewing angle, maybe upside down or something?

It is strange that AutoCad 2015 was doing that broken looking flatshot before I changed the viewing angle though, not very confidence inspiring.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 10
jrusso
in reply to: darawork

Still silly.

I normally use the wheel for navigating between top view and SE Isometric, etc.  Using the ribbon for some reason did eliminate the phantom plane issue but I still can't see the entire object in my flatshot.  Could it be a graphics card issue?  I see on another discussion that 2015 has issues with graphic cards that worked for previous releases. 

I'm on a Dell Precision T5610

Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2063 v2 @ 1.80GHz 1.80 GHz

64-bit OS

RAM: 16 GB

Message 4 of 10
jrusso

If I export the solids as an .sat then import them back into the drawing, the flatshot works fine.

Message 5 of 10
elkdiver

Although I can get the desired flatshot by eporting as an .sat and importing back into the drawing and making my flatshot of the .sat, I'd like to know why the flatshot command isn't working correctly and what the real fix is.  If it's an issue with my graphics card for instance, I could weigh the benefit of less effort against the cost of a new graphics card.

Message 6 of 10
GrantsPirate

Could you use VIEWBASE command and related commands instead?

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 7 of 10
elkdiver
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Yes, viewbase does seem to be working.  So option 1 would be to export the solids as an .sat file, then import it back to CAD and create my flatshots of the .sat.  Option 2 would be to use the viewbase command.  Should I not be worried about getting the flatshot command to work right? 

Message 8 of 10
GrantsPirate
in reply to: elkdiver

I would take Viewbase over Flatshot and the other methods any day.  If anything changes the update is automatic.  Be sure to check the layer manager as Viewbase creates layers you can manipulate for a little bit of adjustment in how it will plot.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 9 of 10
elkdiver
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Ok.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 10
knmdk

@jrusso wrote:

If I export the solids as an .sat then import them back into the drawing, the flatshot works fine.

Hey jrusso, thanks for a tip. I'm experiencing same issue with FLATSHOT in AutoCAD 2015 as you do. Here's a link to my thread in case the solution will be found.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost