Did you mean: 

Fixing Self-Intersecting Curves For Extrusion

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
60419 Views, 5 Replies

Fixing Self-Intersecting Curves For Extrusion

I have been working on this project for awhile, trying to get it to extrude.  The top drawing of the shape is when I created it, still as lines and arcs.  The bottom pices are what I have broken it into and joined as polylines for extrusion.  The top most piece of these is the one I have been working with, with no solution found.  The 3 smallest of these pieces do extrude, but I need all of them to extrude as they are all different heights, and I am just too frustrated now to do this anymore even though I need it ready in 7 hours.  Once this extrusion problem is solved, the rest is just unioning it together and to the rest of my project.  I have tried exploding them, overkilling them and joining them again, I have tried the boundary method I have found on forums, nothing is working.  I have gone through with a fine tooth comb on the top most section and made sure there wasn't anything extra.  I have tried using pedit on it, and many of the commands say you can't do this on a closed polyline.  If its a closed polyline, why won't it extrude?  I could find anywere where it was "Self intersecting curves" like the error says when I try to extrude it.  Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I could find anywere where it was "Self intersecting curves"

You can find or you can not find the positions ... check those samples of self-intersections:

2013-10-31 08-45-52.png2013-10-31 08-49-04.png

If you check these positions, don't forget to _REGEN when you zoom close to the vertices, then the rounding of the arcs are refreshed.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Ok, so that does not help so much.  Again, the only piece I have been working on is the large top piece, which I will attach to this message.  The other pieces I haven't even looked at so yes, I know they still may have overlaps on them.  I am wondering why this piece won't extrude.  I have spent hours going over it, I thought I had every overlap and problem fixed, yet it still won't.  I found one more, it still won't extrude but no error messages come up when I try to extrude it.  Lets focus on this piece this time, if there is a solution to this one, then I can fix the rest.

Message 4 of 6
nestly2

I didn't readily notice the problem with your polyline, but the BOUNDARY command (aka BPOLY) will create a new polyline boundary that may be extruded without any error messages.  Similarly, using PRESSPULL rather than EXTRUDE will "extrude" your original polyline into a 3D Solid.

Message 5 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I found one more, it still won't extrude but no error messages come up

I get the message during selection:

Cannot sweep or extrude a self-intersecting curve.
   1 object removed from selection set.
And yes, it's very hard to find. I first switched to visual style 2D-Wireframe, I also disabled the hardware acceleration as (at least with my gc-driver) I have troubles when zooming into very deep detail, and last but not least I scaled the objects with factor 1000. At least that position shows some strange mini-gap between the polyline-arcs, so I guess it's to close for extrusion, to close for mathematical accuracy.

2013-11-01 07-35-34.png

And good to have nestly 😉 both suggestions work well (naturally).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Got everything sorted finally.  Thanks for the help!  Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost