Fillet won't work for some reason...

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3782 Views, 9 Replies

Fillet won't work for some reason...

Hello, 

I am trying to soften the edges on a six sided dice. When I draw the lines on the egdes and try to apply the fillet tool, it resets itself after I select the second line and it keeps repeating over and over again. I am new to 3D modelling, I already had a good 3D model of the dice and wanted to improve it, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even try selecting different edges, beginning from the left one and moving to the top one and vice verca, but I can never seem to select 2 lines to apply the fillet.

Thanks,

Catherine

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
.... When I draw the lines on the edges .....

I am not sure what you mean by "draw the lines" - you should not need to draw any lines, you should simply selecting edges.

Can you attach your file here?

Do you have a 3D solid body?

Your screen shot indicates your Radius is zero?

Radius.png

It would be easiest to do the cube in an isometric wireframe visual style.

wireframe.png

The first pick I would do on an edge, then you should be prompted to enter your desired radius and then prompted to select additional edges.

Once you have selected all of the edges hit Enter, then go to a shaded visual style.

Completed Fillets.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Dave_S

Try working in an orthogonal view 3d wireframe. Use the Chain option as much as you can to go around the edges of each plane (start fillet command for each face) as far as you can go, then just fillet the last edge separately.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

When I try just clicking on the egdes, nothing happens, the message "select first object" stays on the screen...  Here's the file.

Message 5 of 10
nrz13

3D Fillet will automatically round the edge between two faces.  The extra lines it's asking you to select is so you can fillet an entire face at once to save time.  The fillet lines selected need to be coplanar.  What I would do first is spin your view into an axonometric one and that will make it easier to see what faces you are selecting.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 6 of 10
JDMather

If you run the LIST command on your geometry - do you have 3D solid or do you have faces?

Why are you working with dxf rather than dwg?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

It's a solid 3D body. The primary file was .stl and I could only export it as a dxf.

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a solid 3D body. The primary file was .stl and I could only export it as a dxf.

Did you run the List command as I instructed you earlier?

When I follow the instructions to answer the question I asked you earlier - the list command reports that the geometry IS NOT 3D Solid, but rather, 3D Face.

Show me the screen capture of the List command results or Properties proving that it is a 3D solid body.

*.stl is surfaces, not solid body.

Try attached file instead.

*.stl is faceted triangular faces for 3D printing - not for modeling.

I think I would start over.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I ran it, I though I typed that it was a 3D face, my brain must have glitched for a second. Sorry for the mix up. I guess I'll just start over then. Thank you.

Message 10 of 10
shawnbarrios

It doesn't work anymore. Your left with having to use extend and trim.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost