Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Tabs and the * character.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rkmcswain
1421 Views, 10 Replies

File Tabs and the * character.

Ever since starting to use 2015, I've always felt that many of my open drawings that I saved, would at some point (and for no reason) become "unsaved", based on the * that appears in the file tab next to the name of the drawing. 

I have since found at least two cases where this is true

1. Multiple drawings open, all saved.  Close the right-most tab by clicking the "x" on a file tab. The file tab to the left of it becomes current and suddenly displays the *to indicate it is unsaved. But you can click the "x" next to the name of this drawing and it closes without prompting (and DBMOD=0)
  2. With one open drawing, highlight two drawings in the Sheet Set Manager and right-click and choose Open. The first drawing opens, and then the second drawing opens. As soon as the second drawing opens, the * character appears in the tab of the first drawing (that you opened from SSM). Now if you switch between these two recently opened drawings the * character will eventually appear in the file tab of the second open drawing (DBMOD = 0 in both of them)

That pretty much means you can't trust the * symbol to let you know whether a drawing is saved or not.

Anyone else even noticed this?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

That pretty much means you can't trust the * symbol to let you know whether a drawing is saved or not.

Anyone else even noticed this?

Yes, I've noticed.  Very misguided use of the asterisk.

Message 3 of 11
pendean

I don't rely on app-based visual cues to save my files: I just save manually to be sure it gets done. Can't risk it.
Message 4 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: pendean

Read it again please.

1. The visual clues don't save the file, they are documented to indicate whether the file is saved or not.

2. So based on #1, I'm not relying on something to save files for me.

The point is that the tab can show the * while DBMOD = 0, which is a bug.

Message 5 of 11
pendean

I wrote:
"...I don't rely on app-based visual cues ..."
Sorry if you read more into it than I intended.

You know where to report application bugs with Autodesk 🙂
Message 6 of 11
rkmcswain

Anyone know if SP2 fixes this?

Message 7 of 11
rkmcswain

In C3D 2016, scenerio #1 seems to have been fixed.  But I found another scenerio that fails. 

3. Multiple Unsaved open drawings. Run the SAVEALL command. All of the drawings do get SAVED, but the asterisk still shows on all the tabs.

Message 8 of 11
ParishSouthBdx

I just noticed the asterisk on the drawing tabs.  I was going  to post a question relative to it when I saw your post.

I take it that it's intent is to depict which drawing that is open and has a tab needs to be saved?

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: ParishSouthBdx

Drafting2 wrote:

I take it that it's intent is to depict which drawing that is open and has a tab needs to be saved?

Yes, the presence of the asterisk indicates that the drawing has been modified since it was last saved. But you cannot depend on this, so at best, it's a visual annoyance.

Also, a lock icon means the drawing is read-only, and I've never seen an issue with this.

Message 10 of 11
Ron-C

So is there a SP2  out ??

Oh I HOPE SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

<EDIT> Ops just saw it was for 2015 not 2016 !!!!!ôô!!!!!

Message 11 of 11
wispoxy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost