Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Performance W/ My Really Large 3D Drawings

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
gchcad
5176 Views, 24 Replies

Extremely Slow Performance W/ My Really Large 3D Drawings

My IT guy at my office just built what we thought to the king of beasts of all AutoCAD workstations and we upgraded to ACAD2015.

[Western Digital 3 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk, ASUS LGA2011 Intel C602 DDR3 1600 SATA III Motherboard Z9PE-D8 WS, Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Hexa-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 15 MB Cache LGA 2011, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3GB GDDR5, Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)]

I work heavily in 3D and my files range up to 130mb. I xref my detailed 3D objects sometimes 15000 times or more within a drawing. Simple tasks of switching visual styles or from paper to model space take a pretty **** long time. The peformance here is even worse than on my other workstation with ACAD2011 and only 8gb of ram.

Would anybody have an idea on how I might be able to increase the performance of this machine? Maybe I have been structuring my files wrong or just that my 3D drawings I reference are too detailed. I have completely purged and turned off as many non essential settings I could and still I am having huge problems.

Thanks,

DB

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
braudpat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Dedun & Detroit808

1) Of course if with your current 3D DWG, the "ACAD.exe" task is using 2-12 Gb of memory, a PC with 16 Gb is quite enough !

2) YES the ACAD 20xx kernel is not very well optimized (compared to more modern software : Rhino for example) to manage large/huge 2D OR 3D DWG ! ... This problem is more important in 3D than in 2D ...

I am using large/huge 2D DWGs without too much problem but I am very well organized at layer level (and Idem for XREFs)!

and I never select too many Entities when the properties dialog box is open !

and I NEVER select too many Hatches or I am dead !!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016/large-dwgs-and-acad-map-201x-64-bits-and-m...

3) I maintain that the basic speed of the processor is the most important factor ...

Regards, Patrice (I am not an Autodesk Advisor)

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 22 of 25
detroit808

I wish this company provided some real truth and stop tyring to smoke an mirror us all the time.

People around here keep banging on about this supposed 'new' graphics engine in AutoCAD, which is ficticious. We're also told AutoCAD moved away from OpenGL and now uses DirectX. So what do I find when searching for 3D performance in AutoCAD?

An Autodesk knowledge support article telling us that AutoCAD 2015 is still OpenGL. What are they playing at? Do they have any clue what they talk about? Why is everything so vague?

Does it use DirectX or OpenGL? Even still why the hell does't this POS program not even offload ANYTHING 3D to ANY video card, Quadro, Geforce, Firepro or Radeon????

So they tell use there's improved performance in 2DWireframe in 2016. Well guess what. I select 2DWireframe move 3D objects left and right and the performance is barable but not great.

As soon as I orbit the model it drops out of 2DWireframe and into Wireframe and this POS screeches to a halt and takes 1 minute to move 5cm on screen, then hangs for 5 minutes, moves again, hangs moves hangs...3 days later I finish. Should only take 2 hours with out all these silly delays. I'd expect this if the CPU was 16Mhz not overlcocked to 4.8Ghz while two top monster video cards sit arounf twiddling their thumbs.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

angry... angry....angry... I demand financial and mental trauma compensation Autodesk, or fix the crappiest junkwreck software.

Why waste time adding a presentation offline rendering engine if we can't even move anything around reasonably in modelspace to make anything presentation worthy. Talk about missed opportunities and poor prioritisation.

Wow CMATTACH, bring in a Navisworks file into 2016 modelspace and actually uses all cores of the CPU and some GPU load yet the 3D geometry in model space uses neither.

Message 23 of 25
detroit808

I wish this company provided some real truth and stop tyring to smoke an mirror us all the time.

People around here keep banging on about this supposed 'new' graphics engine in AutoCAD, which is ficticious. We're also told AutoCAD moved away from OpenGL and now uses DirectX. So what do I find when searching for 3D performance in AutoCAD?
An Autodesk knowledge support article telling us that AutoCAD 2015 is still OpenGL. What are they playing at? Do they have any clue what they talk about? Why is everything so vague?

Does it use DirectX or OpenGL? Even still why the hell does't this POS program not even offload ANYTHING 3D to ANY video card, Quadro, Geforce, Firepro or Radeon????

So they tell use there's improved performance in 2DWireframe in 2016. Well guess what. I select 2DWireframe move 3D objects left and right and the performance is barable but not great.
As soon as I orbit the model it drops out of 2DWireframe and into Wireframe and this POS screeches to a halt and takes 1 minute to move 5cm on screen, then hangs for 5 minutes, moves again, hangs moves hangs...3 days later I finish. Should only take 2 hours with out all these silly delays. I'd expect this if the CPU was 16Mhz not overlcocked to 4.8Ghz while two top monster video cards sit arounf twiddling their thumbs.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

angry... angry....angry... I demand financial and mental trauma compensation Autodesk, or fix the crappiest junkwreck software.

Why waste time adding a presentation offline rendering engine if we can't even move anything around reasonably in modelspace to make anything presentation worthy. Talk about missed opportunities and poor prioritisation.

Wow CMATTACH, bring in a Navisworks file into 2016 modelspace and actually uses all cores of the CPU and some GPU load yet the 3D geometry in model space uses neither.

Message 24 of 25
jmckenzie
in reply to: detroit808

I agree completely. Maybe it's all a part of the master plan to push everything to the Revit platform. Autodesk is not spending the money they once did on ACAD. They are blowing all their money with the new Revit platforms... I think you are on to something in reference to money. Maybe since they are using us to beta test all their products and then later making us download service packs to fix the issues they should be giving a kick back along with it.

Cheers

Jmckenzie
Message 25 of 25
braudpat
in reply to: jmckenzie

Hello from France

I see in France since beginning of 2014, Bricscad & ZWCad increasing their market shares !

Mainly because lack of real new features in ACAD 2014, 2015, 2016 ...

And because of the price you have to pay with annual subscription !!

Regards, Patrice (I am not an Autodesk Advisor)

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost