Export .prj file from AutoCAD

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
s-nmcleod
8908 Views, 3 Replies

Export .prj file from AutoCAD

Hi All!

I’m trying to convert a .dwg into a geo-located .shp file, so as a preliminary step I am geo-locating the file in AutoCAD using the GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command and then converting the file through ArcGIS.

Now I save the file with a geographic position 'embedded', but a .prj file is not generated which means the geolocation is not recognised in ArcGIS. The only reason I know it should be is because when this in testing this out yesterday, a .prj file was saved when the .dwg was saved. Then when I imported the .dwg into ArcGIS, it recognised a location. Otherwise it errors out.

Are these .prj files interchangeable based on the mapping grid system, or are they specific to the geographic marker?

Thanks all for your help.

Nicholas McLeod

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Milius
in reply to: s-nmcleod

Export of .prj files just possible in AutoCAD Map. So I think you have th change the forum.

Message 3 of 4
jggerth1
in reply to: s-nmcleod

If you want to export entities (lines, polygons, text or points) from a DWG to an SHP, then you need to be using Map3D.  Set you draing up on a coordinate system instead of the 'geolocation'.

There is no 'convert a drawing to shape' ability in any of the Acad applications. 

Message 4 of 4

You can use the mapexport command to export DWGs as shapefiles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost