Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export layer file from AutoCAD to Revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jledgewood409
3151 Views, 6 Replies

export layer file from AutoCAD to Revit

I am looking how I can create an Export Layer File (txt) file of a layer list to use in Revit.

In revit when you want to export to CAD you can choose how the lines want to read based on the layering system in AutoCAD. there is an option in that menu in Revit that lets you choose a different Export Layer File (txt) file than what is offered out of the box e.g. exportlayers-dwg-AIA.txt. I dont know where to get it from or how to create it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: jledgewood409

if you have a company standard template you can open that file go to your Layer manager and select all (ctrl C) paste into excel save as a text (*.txt)

save this file where all users have access to it.

in revit versions vary so command locations may vary too.

export to dwg load layers from standards select load settings from file and browse to your *.txt file.

i hope this helps

Message 3 of 7
jledgewood409
in reply to: Anonymous

thank you i will try this. when saving in excel to a txt file should it be a tab delimited txt file or a unicode text txt file. when I chose the tab delimited txt file I get a message taht tells me that some features in your workbook might be lost.

Message 4 of 7
jledgewood409
in reply to: Anonymous

so I followed the steps and got a txt file. but when I load that txt file into the export setup in Revit it doesnt give me the layer names that were used in autocad and it doesnt assign a color ID to any of the layers.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

typically i use tab delimited

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

i got the same result I may have missed a step

i am going through the process too.

it may require some data entry up front still experimenting.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I am going to follow the steps in this link it looks like it has potential

http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/19640-revit-export-autocad-layer-nami...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost