AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

sgdunn
Message 1 of 6 (1,638 Views)
Accepted Solution

Explode a block only

1638 Views, 5 Replies
03-28-2013 01:03 PM

I have a situation where I have a drawing with 3D faces creating the Chassis of a desk, and the top and pulls were inserted from other drawings and are blocks.  There are numerous drawings with this scenario and I am looking for a way to explode the blocks ONLY in the drawings without exploding the 3D faces as well.  Then we'd like to purge the drawing of the nested blocks before saving it.

I'm not a programmer so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a sample of one of the files in question.  I'm hoping there is a solution that doesn't require us to open each drawing individually as there are hundreds of them...if not thousands.  We didn't catch this 'mistake' until today and have created many, many product lines (started in November) with this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Valued Contributor
qupola
Message 2 of 6 (1,596 Views)

Re: Explode a block only

03-28-2013 06:30 PM in reply to: sgdunn

Not the answer, but maybe this will help:

3dfaces don't explode.  The standard autocad Explode command will leave any it finds in your selection set intact.  3dfaces that have been turned into regions will explode though.

You can use either the QSELECT or the FILTER command to grab only the blocks in a drawing.  Then you can process them in each drawing as you see fit.

To process hundreds of files, unless there's a canned 3rd party solution out there for you, I'd say your best bet would be to look into autocad scripts.  Scripts may be written to open a file, run a bunch of autocad commands from the command line, close the file, and then move on to the next file and repeat.  They are among the easiest forms of Autocad programming to learn and put to work.

Action macros may provide another avenue for you to explore.  Even simpler than scripts.  Not sure though whether you could get them to process a list of files without stopping for user input. 

Be forewarned that before processing files in batches, save a copy of your original files elsewhere.

*Expert Elite*
braudpat
Message 3 of 6 (1,574 Views)

03-29-2013 08:58 AM in reply to: qupola

Hello from France

Pre-requisite, you have pre-loaded the "EXPBS.lsp" routine and it's avaliable with ANY DWG ! 

This routine "EXPBS" explode ALL Blocks , even Blocks inside Blocks !!

In theory with the following Script file >>>

EXPBS

-PURGE

_BL

_N

_SAVEAS

<<<

After _SAVEAS you have to complete the Script ...

and Open the Next DWG and so one ...

So Good Luck, Bye, Pat

Bye, Pat

Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 4 of 6 (1,567 Views)

03-29-2013 12:39 PM in reply to: sgdunn

Use QUICKSELECT to select only blocks, then explode them.

You can also use the FILTER command for more options.

QUICKSELECT is found on the Properties Manager (upper right icons) and can also be found the the pop up screen menu depending on how your mouse controls are set up. For me, I just right click and hold for a quarter of a second.

For you, it may be a quick right click, a middle mouse click or any number of things.

sgdunn
Message 5 of 6 (1,528 Views)

04-02-2013 09:17 AM in reply to: sgdunn

I used a combonation of the first two replies.  I wrote a script executing the LSP routine and used ScriptPro to run it.  Worked like a charm.

Thank you all for the input!

Distinguished Contributor
Justin2012
Message 6 of 6 (1,395 Views)

06-11-2013 02:04 PM in reply to: sgdunn

On another note, how can I restrict to explode or doing changes on a block?

Please advise.

Thx

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.