Did you mean: 

Excel OLE table not printing in the location it was inserted

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
cheddarthief
2248 Views, 7 Replies

Excel OLE table not printing in the location it was inserted

I'm creating a standard border for our company and I've created a BOM from Excel that is inserted into the border.  I've highlighted the range I want in Excel and copied the table.  I then went to the border and used the Edit, Paste Special, Paste Link, Microsoft Excel Worksheet path to bring the linked data into the CAD file.  I also updated the properties for the OLE object so that the Plot Quality is set to Monochrome.  As you can see from the attached files, when the BOM is positioned, everything looks fine (black background).  But when attempting to plot/print the border, the BOM shifts down away from the top of the border.  For the life of me, not matter what I try, I can't get the BOM to stay in the correct location.  I've attached the CAD file as well for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
shavezkhan
in reply to: cheddarthief

you can arrange that on which location you want to keep
use move command
Message 3 of 8
cheddarthief
in reply to: shavezkhan

shavezkhan,

Thanks for your feedback but I think you might be missing the point of my post.  I understand how the MOVE command works.  The BOM I've inserted from Excel into my CAD dwg is located withing the border exactly where I'd like it to be.  However, when I try to print out the border, you'll see that the BOM slides out of its position down in the -Y axis direction.  This is what I'm trying to prevent.  Is there a setting I'm missing?

Message 4 of 8

Hi, I not sure why it's doing it but the scale of the table is shrinking in the Y axis. the position of the table is not moving in the bottom left corner. I played around a little and moved the title block into a layout in paper space and the scale did not change there. How did you insert the table?

Message 5 of 8

I prefer to keep all my work in Model Space wherever possible.  Most of my customers are on old versions of AutoCAD and even then they're usually some senior types that are not familiar with the functionality of switching back and forth between the Paper Space and Model Spaces.  So to keep it all clean, I leave everything in MS.  That said, you asked how I installed the BOM table.  I started with a standard border I had received and created the BOM in Excel.  I then highlighted the cells I wanted in CAD and used the Edit, Paste Special, Paste Link, Microsoft Excel Worksheet option.  This is to keep the data linked to the CAD file and perform all sorts of Excel functions outside of CAD.  Is there some sort of scaling feature that I'm missing that's affecting how this prints and locates any OLE objects?

Message 6 of 8

ok, stupid question time. Have you actually tried to print the border or are you just looking at plot preview? My plot preview shows the table dropping down when I window the border, but when I actually plot it, it comes out where it's supposed too. I used 11x17 to try it.

Message 7 of 8

sthompson1021,

Actually, this is no stupid at all.  You'd think I would have printed the docs as a test.  When printing, it does in fact work.  It's just on the print preview.  I'm not sure if this is a print driver issue or a glitch in the 2015 AutoCAD.  I never had this before when I was on 2011.  Then again, that was the LT version and this is the full version.  Could be a hardware/software issue.  At any rate, it does print as it should so I guess I'll just live with it.

Thanks,

cheddarthief

Message 8 of 8

Glad it worked for you. I'm using 2014 so I'm guessing it's a bug in the program.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost