Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Not enough free space

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
cjneper
2563 Views, 14 Replies

Error: Not enough free space

I am getting an error stating I do not have enough free space in my temp directory on drive C:

I am attempting to create a drawing index on a drawing that is only 105 mb in size, and I have 64 Gb of free space on my C: drive.  Why am I getting this message?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ampster401
in reply to: cjneper

empty out your temp directory.

Been a problem since Win 3.0 days it seems.  Why hasn't M$ provided some sort of automated tool to take care of what resides in the temp folder?  If there is some tool for this, it's not widely known.

Sorry for the rant.

Message 3 of 15
cjneper
in reply to: ampster401

Did that.  I emptied out the temp directory and rebooted, still no luck.

Message 4 of 15
dgorsman

Which TEMP directory?  There may be several.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 15
cjneper
in reply to: dgorsman

C:\users\username\appdata\local\temp

I am running Windows 7 - 64 bit, Acad Map 2014

Message 6 of 15
cjneper

I found a workaround.  My C: drive had 64 Gb of space which wasn't enough, so in Options I changed my Temporary Drawing File Location to my 😧 drive which has 130 Gb of space.  That solved the problem.  I find it hard to believe that 64 Gb is not enough space, so this could show up again with a bigger drawing or when my 😧 drive starts to fill up.

Message 7 of 15
nrz13

Just a thought:  are you measuring your free disk space with AutoCAD is closed or after you've been working on the drawing for a while and still have it open?

Your file size is exceptionally large and if you don't have much physical memory Windows will write virtual memory to your hard drive.  It seems unlikely that it would use 64GB of memory, but then again, your file is 100x larger than what we normally deal with in our office.  AutoCAD (2015 especially) has some pretty bad memory leaks, so that probably isn't helping either.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 8 of 15
cjneper
in reply to: nrz13

I tried clearing the temp directory and rebooting, then start Autocad and try to create the index right away, so there should be nothing else in memory.

I am running Map 2014 on 64 bit Windows 7 with 16 Gb of RAM and a 300 Gb hard drive...  Seems like it should be enough to handle a 100 mb drawing.  That's what is baffling to me, I shouldn't be getting this error.  I never got the error on my XP machine with only 4 Gb RAM and smaller harddrive.

Message 9 of 15
nrz13

I was thinking if you only had 2-4GB that problem may be the case.  Seems like something different is going on here.  Have you tried looking through the AutoCAD Map 3D forum to see if anyone else has solved this same problem there?

For instance, here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-general/not-enough-space-on-drive-c-temp/m-p/1760098/hi...

and here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-general/not-enough-space-on-drive-c-temp/m-p/941008/hig...

They're older posts, but each offers a different workaround not previously suggested here.  Scroll down to the last post on the second one.  Might be helpful.

When you are getting that error, what does Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) report for your memory usage?  Is it using the full 16GB of RAM?

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 10 of 15
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried clearing the temp directory and rebooting, then start Autocad and try to create the index right away, so there should be nothing else in memory.

I am running Map 2014 on 64 bit Windows 7 with 16 Gb of RAM and a 300 Gb hard drive...  Seems like it should be enough to handle a 100 mb drawing.  That's what is baffling to me, I shouldn't be getting this error.  I never got the error on my XP machine with only 4 Gb RAM and smaller harddrive.

There are big differences between WinXP and Win7.  Win7 alone requires more ram than WinXP did.  And If memory serves me correctly, WinXP wasn't even available for 64 bit so that would mean that you were on 32 bit.  Again 64 bit is going to require more ram.  So before Acad even enters the equation, the new system requires more ram. 

My only point with this statement is the comparison is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 11 of 15
doni49

@nrz13 wrote:

When you are getting that error, what does Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) report for your memory usage?  Is it using the full 16GB of RAM?

Good question but it's been my experience that when a pc is running that slow, task manager won't even show up until the ram is available which IMHO makes the information it gives at that time pretty useless.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 12 of 15
cjneper

I did see those old reports, but it seems different when they are talking about increasing virtual memory to 4 Gb, and mine is set at 25 Gb.  And my temporary internet files were only 250 Mb.  Watching my Task Manager, the max level for Acad I see is 1,600,000 K (1.6 Gb right?).  That doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Message 13 of 15
nrz13

Well, it was worth a shot, but it doesn't look like your hardware is the limiting factor here.  Unfortunately, I've exhausted all the things I can think of for now.

Message 14 of 15
cjneper

Oddly enough, deleting the temporary internet files seemed to speed things up.  Even though they were only 250 mb??  Now I am no longer getting the error message.  Maybe it was a combination of everything I cleaned up.  I will try to document everything if it happens again.

Message 15 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Even though they were only 250 mb??

And how many files? May be it's an incorrect message and the problem that there are thousands of temp-files and that's the limit?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost