Did you mean: 

E is recalling last command

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Cre9engr
681 Views, 14 Replies

E is recalling last command

I'm having this problem with the "E" key ever since I installed Service Pack 2 for Civil 3D 2014.  Everytime I press the "e" key on my keyboard to call the erase command, Autocad intiates the last command.  The program is non-functional if I can't erase objects.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
-Civil 3D user since 2007
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
steve216586
in reply to: Cre9engr

If you enter the CUI, what is the definition for the ERASE command? It may have been set to ENTER which would be the same as a right mouse click to repeat last command.

BTW, FWIW...DELETE key on the keyboard works too.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 15
Cre9engr
in reply to: steve216586

The macro is set to ^C^C_erase in the CUI.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 4 of 15
steve216586

What is the alias for the erase command set to in the CUI? E?  You should be able to check that if you go to the Express tools tab and select Command Aliases, then scroll to E.  If everything looks normal there, do you know of any overrides which may be in use?

Strange issue.

Message 5 of 15
dgorsman
in reply to: steve216586

Minor point: aliases (at least, as they are listed in the Express tool you noted) are controlled by the PGP file, not the CUI system.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 15
Cre9engr
in reply to: dgorsman

I hate this program.  The "E" key just started working, and I all I did was close the program and rebooted the computer.  We will see if it's still working tomorrow.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 7 of 15
steve216586

Yeah, I got distracted half way through my reply. You are correct. The CUI doesn't list aliases. The alias for ERASE should be shown in the Command Alias dialog in Express Tools tab. Thanks for drawing that to my attention. I didn't mean to mislead.

Message 8 of 15
Cre9engr

No problem.

Frederick S. Wegert, PE

NORTHERN ENGINEERING
301 N. Howes Street, Suite 100 | Fort Collins, Colorado 80521
O: 970.221.4158 | 😧 970.568.5408 |F: 970.221.4159
fred@northernengineering.com| www.northernengineering.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/wegert
Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 9 of 15
doni49

It sounds to me as though some extension has decided to redefine the e key.

What EXACT steps cause this to happen? 

Press E and acad tries to launch the last command?

OR

Press E, then press ENTER after which it tries to launch the last command?

Also when you Press E, do you actually see the letter E on your command line?

EDIT:  If you login to this PC using a DIFFERENT username, does this still happen?  Does this happen when you login on other computers in the office?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 15
Cre9engr
in reply to: doni49

Doni49: Right now, it's working without any problems. I rebooted my computer, and suddenly everything starting working. In the past, I noticed the following steps would cause the problem.

1) Select object, Press E, then press Enter, and it repeats the last command.

2) Press E, then press Enter and it tries to launch the last command.

At first, I thought that my pickfirst variable was set incorrectly, but the error continued after I set the pickfirst variable to 1.

When the error occurs, E never showed up in the command line. I knew I was pressing the E key. So why was I getting move? Or copy? Those were the two biggest culprits, but I knew it was repeating the last command when it wanted to "create alignment". Didn't I just create an alignment 5 seconds ago?????

After checking the pickfirst variable, I then thought it was my keyboard. I had one of the cordless keyboards, and I thought there was interference between the keyboard and the receiver. After opening notepad, I was able to get a lot of E's after pressing the E key. I also tried another keyboard with a cord. I tried my keyboard on another computer without any problems. I even replaced the batteries on my keyboard. I was beginning to doubt my sanity.

Like I said, yesterday (I think it was yesterday, may have been Friday afternoon), I had to reboot my computer from an unrelated Autocad crash, and it just started working. It was like magic. That was the first time an Autocad crash actually solved a problem. Now, I'm beginning to suspect there was a problem in the Windows Registry, and the reboot "fixed" the issue. Ever since that crash, the E key is working as it's suppose to.

Keep your fingers crossed...knock on wood...hang onto that rabbit's foot....it may start acting up again just when I'm starting to get comfortable with a working E.
Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 11 of 15
doni49

There were a couple other questions in there too (you may need to deal with these questions the next time it happens -- when it does, bring up this thread and check then). 

If you login using a different username, does this happen?

If you login to a different PC, does this happen?

Two additioanal questions: 

1. Does it matter what file(s) you have open?
  2. When this starts happening, type in ED then enter.  What command fires?  If you get DIMSTYLE, then for some reason ACAD is just not recognizing the E key (the reason I asked if you see the E show up in the command line).  If you get the text editor, then it IS recogizing the E key -- but some rogue extension must be "messin' with you".

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 12 of 15
Cre9engr

1. I haven't tried loggin in as a different user, but no one else in the office is having this problem.
  2. I haven't tried loggin on a different computer, but no one else in the office is having this problem.
  3. It doesn't matter what files I have open at the time.
  4. The ED command activites the text editor.
  5. The length of time of an Autocad session does seem to matter.  The longer I have a Autocad open, the greater the odds the E key will stop working.
Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 13 of 15
doni49

The test of typing ED should be done AFTER the problem starts happening again.

Since it seems to depend on having a ad open for a while, login using a different username (even if you just associate the same network login with a new local Windows profile - - that way you don't have to worry about logging in with a different username).
Don Ireland

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 15
Cre9engr

I never had problems editing text while the E key problem was occuring.  While the problem was occuring, there were times that I had to edit text and I always use the ED command to call up the text editor.  However, I will consider this test the next time the problem occurs.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
Message 15 of 15
Cre9engr

After trying the old shotgun approach....i.e. take the computer out back and shoot it with a shotgun.....I finally found a workaround to my troublesome E key issue.  I found an old Microsoft keyboard that dates back to the before 2003 at a yard sale.  I swapped out the new fancy wireless keyboard with the old pre-2003 keyboard.  I had to buy a USB extension to get the cord to stretch, but so far, I haven't any problems after about a month.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost