Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic block with equally divided array?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
alx86
4360 Views, 12 Replies

Dynamic block with equally divided array?

Hi, I'm trying to create a Dynamic Block of an 3/4" x 3/4" aluminium angle with holes:

Depending on the length the number of holes will vary.

The distance between each holes need to be somewhere between 8" and a maximum of 12".

The holes must be centered and start from 1 1/2" up to 2" from each ends.

Each distance must be not more precise then 1/16" (no rounded off dimensions)

I'd like to simply drag the handle of the linear parameters (No lookup or visibility for 2 hole, 3 holes, 4 holes etc.)

Thanks

Capture.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dmfrazier
in reply to: alx86

Just based on a quick read of your description, it seems to me that the "rules" you've outlined for the hole spacing are very "fuzzy" and it's hard to imagine how to design a DB to deal with all that variability.

You might get some more experienced eyes (and minds) to take up the challenge if you post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/bd-p/154

Message 3 of 13
Jason.Piercey

If dynamic blocks supported equations (if this length, do this.  If that length, do that) you'd be in business, but they don't.

Message 4 of 13
alx86
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

A way to add equations was exactly what I was searching. I'm used to "If" "Then" "Else" like (IF LENGTH < 60 THEN 3 ELSE 4) in WoodWOP. I'm pretty beginner with dynamic block so I was expecting a way to do this. I think i'll just add a Lookup or Visibility parameter for 2 Holes, 3 Holes etc.

Message 5 of 13
alx86

It's not finished, but here is what I've done so far. I didn't find a way to do every thing automaticly, but it's probably better this way. It's giving more control this way.

ps: sorry for my english 😉

Message 6 of 13
dbroad

Good solution to your problem.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 13
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dbroad

Yes that is a good solution.

Here's an idea to get the holes automatically. The problem is that is is only good for the Distances entered in the Lookup.

Meaning that it works for 16, 28, 40, and 52 but will not update for other measurements. You can however change the length within the range though it will not drop back to four holes from five if less than 40 units, etc. 

Your thoughts for If / Then limits would be the cure. 

Message 8 of 13
alx86
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I've finnaly come up with something very near of what I wanted. It's my first dynamic block and I'm kinda proud of it 😛

Message 9 of 13
dmfrazier

It's like they say: You never forget your first DB! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Charles_Shade

Well done.

I hope you took a nap after adding all those Stretch Actions. Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 13
ped20

Please find the attached image 

I am trying to put that angle parameter in to decimal. but AutoCAD Mechnical 2015 always overwriting that inputs in to roundoff Smiley Mad

Please tell me how to stop this action 

If i modeifeid the parameter from 60 to 60.5 then it take 70

if 60.2 then 60 

Please tell me how to enter precise input either 60.2 or 60.5 

Many thanks 

Kiran Kori 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!
Message 12 of 13
dmfrazier
in reply to: ped20

The first thing I would check is your units settings, specifically your angular units precision.

In "regular" AutoCAD (I am running 2013), that is done with the UNITS command. 

Message 13 of 13
dallen8028

Wow, that is a lot of Stretching. There has to be a simpler way...! Anyone come up with a more simple version?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost