Did you mean: 

dynamic block 'move' with 2 points

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2342 Views, 6 Replies

dynamic block 'move' with 2 points

Hi guys,

I've recently joined the ACAD community and already have a question concerning dynamic blocks with 2 moving points.

I'm trying to make an object which I can rotate and switch (no problem), but then I'm trying to move the object with 2 grips, as in: 2 moving grips. The problem is however if I move the right grip then the left grip stays behind. If I make 2 moving grips, located left and right, then the original grip stays behind, but I can still move the left and right locked to eachother.

Any suggestions?

Below in attachments my object.

PS: Also: how can I change my screenname?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
doben
in reply to: Anonymous

Your block contains 2 point parameters. These are used to establish the insert point of the block, hold control while inserting to alternate between them. The reason the grip "stays behind" is because when you move the block with the point grips the insertion point of the block stays the same but everything else moves.I would just use the regular grips to move the block.

As for changing your screenname I'm not too sure on that. I went into edit profile for my account but that part was greyed out.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: doben

Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by 'regular grips'?

I tried to hold down CTRL-key while inserting the block. Thanks for the tip.

Message 4 of 7
doben

By regular grips I mean the dark blue ones (if grips within blocks is enabled) - see attached). When grips within blocks is not enabled there is still one visible at the insert point. You don't need to add a move action when everything is included in the selection set. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks.

I enabled the grips and removed both move actions and both point parameters. I can now move without extra grips and the initial grip does not stay behind.

However I'm now forced to work with more than a dozen grips in one block. I'm not sure if this is where this topic ends or... Is there any way to delete other unused grips or in my case add 2 grips and disable above option? Did I do something wrong at picking the base-point while creating the block in the first place?

Message 6 of 7
doben

As I mentioned in the last post, the grip at a block insert point is always selectable even if "show grips within blocks" is disabled. There is no way to delete any of the grips when the option is enabled. 

As for the base point, it depends on how you want to use the block.

Let me backtrack here a bit, I hope I'm not confusing you.Disregard my inital post.

If you add a basepoint parameter to the block (you can use the block insert point) and include it in the move selection set then the grip will not be left behind because it is now moving with everything else.

Hope this helps. 

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks! Works like a charm.

1/ I deleted the left move action and the left position parameter.

2/ Placed a base point on the insert point and included (as you said) this point (and everything else) in the right position parameter and added a move action.

I also learned in every new post something new (CTRL-key, grips, base point).

Below in attachment for reference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost