Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block Help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
laurengyure
521 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic Block Help

Hi,

I am trying to get the hang of dynamic blocks to eventually create a block that will contain all possible sizes of the different types of piping we use etc. Essentially, I just want to know how to create a 3" piece, and have the dropdown to select 4", 5", 6" etc. I have watched tutorials, and tried to read through on how to do so but do not understand the perameters and actions that I would need to do. Is there anyone that can simplify this process for me?

I would also be interested in creating valves and having the dropdown give me the option to view top, bottom, side etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have been using Autocad a long time and am a bit frustrated that I am missing a step and/or cannot quite figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks so much!!

Lauren

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ukdxb012
in reply to: laurengyure

Take a look at visibility states, here is a video which may help... http://youtu.be/ku8Y4Cii-zU

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: ukdxb012

I spent a little bit of time reading the AutoCAD help files on dynamic blocks.  I also watched a couple youtube videos.  The rest of the learning I have done on dynamic blocks has been from trial and error and this forum.

There are three ways to do pulldown lists; visibility states, lookups and a block properties table.  You can also combine those three methods.

Visibility states change what lineowork is visible.  Lookups change any parameter and can be used to stretch/move/rotate linework or switch visibility states.  A block properties table is very similar to lookups.

What difficulty are you having?  Post up a file with a decent explanation of what you are trying to accomplish and I will try to help. 

Message 4 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: laurengyure

OP I'd recommend steering away from having too many things represented in one black, as it will become a royal pain to insert that block in its default state and thne change it to the state you intended. Keep the option list short and related to the default block state!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I'm not sure what you think is 'too much' represented in one block.  If dealing with pipe sizes, I would do every variation that is used within one block.  I suppose one could prefer looking through a block library as opposed to a pulldown in the one block that you need to install, but I sure don't. 

Message 6 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Libbya

Having a lot of copies of the same, complex dynamic block has been known to bog down a file. I am not advocating having no alternate versions within a block. I am saying for example don't put all possible sizes and lengths of a hex bolt in one block -- put all lengths of 1/2" in one, all lengths of 9/16" in another etc. Also don't put top and side views in the same block. DO make sure the most commonly used version is the default state of the block. Remember, anything other than this means having to select from a pulldown.

Also try to have as many of the block variations as possible controlled by parameters first, and limit what is changed by visibility states.

finally, you might want to put such blocks in a container drawing and make a custom tool palette to drag and drop them onto your drawing from.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 7 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I have not found multiple copies of complex blocks to slow down files.  Using multiple copies of blocks with 60+ visibility states has not had any perceptible effect.  YMMV.

Message 8 of 8
steven-g
in reply to: Libbya

I have noticed a considerable difference. With even just 10 blocks. Not counting the amount of work you have to put in to keep all the different parts working together, make a change here and and something over there goes wrong. Just inserting 10 blocks into a drawing is fine, alter just one of them and the file size jumps a bit, alter all 10 to different settings and the file size doubles, regen time becomes noticable. In a working drawing with several hundred it becomes unusable. I have taken to splitting drawings to reduce the block count. And I am in the process of moving a lot of the content over to Excel. And breaking the rest of the block into simpler component parts, after all in my case the original intention was just a visual representation of a door to act as a count for excel.

I freely admit the block is way over the top for it's purpose, it was well worth the effort I put in, but it isn't why dynamic blocks where developed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services