Dyn Block Questions

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
sbrusco
473 Views, 10 Replies

Dyn Block Questions

Hi All,

Can i have a "stretch" action tied to a "linear" parameter that is automatically triggered by a selected "visibility" parameter?

For example see the attached png. A visibility state named "1 Text" would include the rectangle and only the text "TEXT01" and a visibility state named "2 Text" would include the same rectangle and only the text "TEXT02." However, if the users selects VS "2 Text" the bottm of the rectange should stretch so that it has the same relationship to TEXT02 as it did originally with TEXT01.

I hope this is clear.

Sal

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Milius
in reply to: sbrusco

Did you mean something like this? If not, then I didn't understand your question...

Message 3 of 11
sbrusco
in reply to: Milius

Hi Milius,

Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, i would like the different text objects to remain in different locations and when each text is visible, the bottom of the rectangle would stretch to be adjacent to the visible text. So in the attached here, i show two insertions of the same block; one with a visibility state of "1 Text" that includes the rectangle and one of the text objects, and one with a visibility state of "2 Text" that includes the SAME rectangle and the other text object. The same rectangle is visible in both VSs except that it has different heights based upon the selected VS.

HTH

Sal

Message 4 of 11
Ebbe_T_Hansen

Hi Sal.

What you need is an action that can trigger the stretch and the visibility at the same time. In the attached example it is done by a Block Properties Table. Another and maybe better option is to use a Lookup action. The Strecth and Visibilty actions are both invisible and with no grips.

Best regards

Ebbe

Message 5 of 11
sbrusco
in reply to: Ebbe_T_Hansen

Hi Ebbe,

I like your block drawing but once i insert it, how do i change it from one option to the other? It appears as though if i explode the block, i get the dynamic grip that then works fine as a dyn block so is it necessary for the block to be exploded?

If i explode it again to see how it was created and learn how to create my own, the table disappears as does the second text. So how did you create it?

TIA for you help.

Sal

Message 6 of 11
DaveFuller

Don't insert the example, open it.

Message 7 of 11
sbrusco
in reply to: DaveFuller

Hi Dave.

Yeah, i get that but i still can't see what exists inside so i can't figure out how to make my own. If i open it in the block editor it works but i still can't see what's inside. What steps are needed to build my own block that works like this one?

Sal

You know, "Give a man a fish and feed him for a meal. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life."

Message 8 of 11
DaveFuller

Apologies.... I have no answer for you. I'm having a bit of a time grasping what you're trying to accomplish... If you're attempting to create a dyn block with text in (2) positions and rectangles of (2) different sizes respective of the text position, make (2) rectangles of different sizes and text in (2) positions and control them with a visibility parameter. If not, you can ignore me....

We have a drafter who always wblocks a dyn block in a block which has to be exploded to used.... Your comment about exploding looked familiar.

Message 9 of 11
Ebbe_T_Hansen

Hi all The suggestion above to simply have two rectangles and use a visibility state is quite logic and the right choice if that was all you had to do. But it may be also be interesting so study the solution with a Block Properties Table, because it has a potential to add more parameters and more combinations. So here is a further explanation to how to do it. The attached PDF contains the same text, but with a few illustrations. This is how it goes: First add a Visibility state parameter set, and make the 2 visibility states Text1 and Text2. Hide relevant objects in either state. Add a linear stretch that affects the height of the rectangle with a linear parameter going from top to bottom, and a corresponding stretch frame. Both those parameters will be controlled by a Block Properties Table, so select them and set Show Properties to No and Number of grips to 0 in the Properties Pallet. Now Add the Block Properties Table, and double click the table icon to open the table. The first column should display the available choices to the user, and for this you use a user defined parameter. Click the new user defined parameter icon and give the parameter a name, set the type to string, and set the value to the text displayed for the first option. In the block shown, the parameter is called the same as the visibility state, but it does not have to be identical. The next column can control the size of the rectangle. Click the add properties icon, and select Distance1 (assuming this is the name of the linear parameter). Type in the distance in the base state, and make sure that this is corresponding to the actual value defined by the geometry. Repeat this for the visibility state. Finaly fill out the values in the second row of the table, and check the block to see that it is working as expected. /Ebbe
Message 10 of 11
sbrusco

Hi Ebbe,

I just got in but this looks like what i needed. I will give it a try and let you know how it works for me.

Thanks for your time preparing the instructions.

Sal

Message 11 of 11
sbrusco

Thanks Ebbe,

The step-by-step was spot on to what i was looking for. I couldn't find anything like this in the help files so thank goodness for this group of gurus.

Sal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost