Did you mean: 

DWG won't open - CAD 2015

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ras1089
1357 Views, 8 Replies

DWG won't open - CAD 2015

Hi All,

I really need someone to help me out here on this!

I work at Heathrow airport and such is the nature of the projects here we have to use X-Ref's to complete our red line drawings to submit onto their networks.

I haven't had any issues until now with using X-Ref's but I had ammended an X-Ref's layour colours in the X-ref DWG and saved it. When I came to open the base DWG it was fine and then it crashed, subseqently now any time i try to use any number of the x-refs for a new drawing it eventually crashes too.

On loading up the DWG at the start it seems to hang and says its tring to get the X-ref's from the Appdata roaming folder on my C drive, however all the DWG's are in the same folder on my desktop. Can someone please please help me with this?

I run

Windows 7

I5 Processor

2GB Graphics

16GB Ram

CAD 2015 full

p.s

-The-xref's are full path.

-I have done recoverys of the dwg and bak files and the same issue occurs.

-I have looked on forums and tried quite a lot of thinsgs so please dont refer to me to somewherelse.

Many thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hwalker
in reply to: ras1089

Welcome to the Forums

That file is not actually a drawing file. It's just a temporary Autocad file, hence it being stored in the temp directory.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 9
robzie1089
in reply to: hwalker

Hi Hwalker,

Yes it is.

That screenshot is of the loading bar on one of the x-refs its loading up thats all.

I am aware its a temp file but my point is that I don't know why CAD is trying to load that up, it should be loading up the actual X-ref's

Message 4 of 9
hwalker
in reply to: robzie1089

I would suggest you load up the x-refs on their own as individual drawings, and do repair / recover on them. Autocad should not be attempting to load that temporary file unless there was a crash somewhere.

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 9
robzie1089

Which command should I use whilst in each x-ref?
Message 6 of 9
hwalker

Whilst in the x-ref do an AUDIT. That should hopefully find and fix errors.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 9
jggerth1

@hwalker wrote:

I would suggest you load up the x-refs on their own as individual drawings, and do repair / recover on them. Autocad should not be attempting to load that temporary file unless there was a crash somewhere.

Options command, open and Save tab, Xrefs section, Demand load Xrefs: pulldown

If set to "enabled with copy", then Acad will copy the reference file from the saved/found to the local temp folder and open a copy of the Xref from there.

The system variable is XLOADCTL,

Turns xref demand-loading on and off, and controls whether it opens the referenced drawing or a copy.

0 Turns off demand-loading; the entire drawing is loaded.
1 Turns on demand-loading. Referenced drawings are kept open and locked.
2 Turns on demand-loading. Copies of referenced drawings are opened and locked; referenced drawings are not locked.

When XLOADCTL is set to 2, a copy of each referenced drawing file is stored in the folder specified by the XLOADPATH system variable or the temporary files folder (set in the Options dialog box). Additionally, xrefs load faster when you work across a network: the performance enhancement is most pronounced when you open drawings with many xrefs.

But, AUDITing all the reference files is prudent and may fix the issue.  I'd also look at scrubbing down the temp folder being used and deleteing everything that can be deleted from it.

And just to rule it out, run a check disk on your c: drive, and defrag it afterwards..

Message 8 of 9
robzie1089
in reply to: jggerth1

Ok So I have tried with the xloadctl command and set that to zero, wiped the temp dwg files in the temp folder and audited all the x-ref's.

No luck, admitidly the loading bar is no longer looking in the appdata folder but it still isn't loading the drawing. my other drawings work perfectly and fast, it is just this one, the hard drive is fine as well

Message 9 of 9
wheelbutte

try changing extention from .dwg to .dst and try to open, we had one that did not open, locked up machine until we tried the extention change, go figure, perhaps someone tried to stump us, or the standard drawing call-up for dwg and dst

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost