Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG association lost

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dmmeehan
1096 Views, 7 Replies

DWG association lost

Lately, we have been losing AutoCAD drawing associativity on an almost daily basis. It started happening last week. We had not gotten any recent windows updates (Updates are parceled out to select users before the whole user base anyways). Any ideas what would be causing this to happen? The users have not been associating the file type to another program and we haven't installed anything new over the timeframe. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: dmmeehan

What is the DWG file associated with now?
What do you want the DWG associated with, which program?

Windows OS is...?

Message 3 of 8
rkmcswain

You are not alone.

See this thread.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 8
john.laidler

Do you have any AutoCAD 'verticals' installed, along with the 'Vanilla' version of AutoCAD?

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 5 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: john.laidler

Yes. AutoCAD and C3D were installed as part of IDSP.

Oh, and it happened again this morning to me (the dialog with the 4 choices).

My icons have not changed and by all outward appearances, the file association was never lost.

I just don't understand why C3D thinks it has.

Message 6 of 8
dmmeehan
in reply to: rkmcswain

We have verticals installed (Cadworx) but this happened for me when I started Vanilla. It's happened more than once for a coworker using the vertical. We all run Win7. I'm on a laptop with SSD, coworker has a desktop with EIDE, Otherwise equal ram and quadro's. Never tested firing up a dwg out of Windows explorer to see what it was associated with...next time...

Message 7 of 8
Pothman

The .dwg file type should be associated to the AutoCAD DWG Launcher - not to the acad.exe file. See the following article and see if this helps:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/DWG-file-type-associativity-in-Windows

Dave Pothier

Message 8 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: Pothman

Pothman wrote:

The .dwg file type should be associated to the AutoCAD DWG Launcher - not to the acad.exe file. See the following article and see if this helps:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/DWG-file-type-associativity-in-Windows

Thank you. Please read the other thread linked here by me.

I'm presuming from the content of the original post that @dmmeehan is having the same issue, and that is our file associativity is being overwritten/lost without any user action taking place. At least in my case, we do not have it associated to acad.exe - it is set correctly until such time that is lost again - hence the 4 choice dialog shown in the other thread.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost