Did you mean: 

Drawing Views showing geometry that is not there

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Chuck.Ross
635 Views, 8 Replies

Drawing Views showing geometry that is not there

I have run into a problem with drawing views showing geometry that is not in the model. I have a column with inserts on one face, however the drawing views show additional inserts on the opposite face. - section views do the same. what could be going on?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Chuck

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
nestly2
in reply to: Chuck.Ross

"Sometimes" Drawing Views will correct themselves after closing/re-opening the drawing.  If this does not help, would you mind uploading a sample drawing that exhibits the unexpected behavior.

Message 3 of 9
Chuck.Ross
in reply to: nestly2

Opening and closing has not helped, nor has restarting autocad or the system. Here is the Drawing.

Thanks,

Chuck

Message 4 of 9
Chuck.Ross

Editing the view - Editing the model selection set, and selecting everything and updating the view. - Then re-editing the view, reselecting model componets to have just what was desired, seems to have fixed the problem.

Wow - Autodesk has truley shaken my faith with such awful issues with Drawing Views.

Shading that doesn't align with linework. - color that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Views can only be edited in same or newer copy of AutodCAD - regardless of version the files is saved as.

View appearance that changes randomly EG shaded with Visible and Hidden Lines becoming Shaded with Visible lines only.

and now this deal breaker of a flaw  - Showing items that aren't even there.

Get it together AutoCAD - You've made me a moron for implementing Drawing Views. - And that's too bad, because the way they are convieced to work is nice... the way a drafting package should work. - It's is a miracle it has taken them so long to even try to create tools like these.

Chuck

Message 5 of 9
nestly2

Yeah, I was just in the process of animating the same issue(s)

Drawing Views are potentially the single best new feature in AutoCAD in the last 5 years, IMO but they're extremely delicate and results on anything other than basic geometry is flakey.  There's also some issue with 3D model corruption that started about the same time VIEWBASE was introduced in 2012. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence the two may be related, but no concrete proof yet that I'm aware of, but it seems too much of a coincidence to me.  I won't even use VIEWBASE command in any of my production drawings for fear the whole model may become corrupted.

If you're on Subscription, I highly suggest you submit a Support Request and link to this topic.

Chuck Ross Drawing Views.gif

Message 6 of 9
nestly2

Chuck.Ross wrote:

Views can only be edited in same or newer copy of AutodCAD - regardless of version the files is saved as.

Not to make excuses, but there have been significant changes to the functionality and options available within Drawing Views, so I do understand why they can't be backward compatible while the tool is still being actively developed.  Also, VIEWBASE supports Inventor models, so that probably also plays a role as Inventor isn't backward compatable with previous versions like AutoCAD is.

Message 7 of 9
Chuck.Ross

Yes - I'm sure that all is true. - What irked me about the non-backwards compatibility issue is that I was not able to find mention of it until looking in the AutoCAD 2015 documentation.... After our project was well underway no going back, and a single contractor edited some drawings in 2015 effectively locking us out of working on them until we can get updated.

The warning might have been there, and I just missed it, But I still can't find it anywhere but 2015 documentation.

Agreed the drawing views could be the best tool released in the last five years, but they've been out already a few years and are still full of so many bugs they act like beta 0.1 release. They continue to bite me with real actual costs from all of these problems. - I have egg all over my face from using them.

How long should a tool provided in very expensive software be available before it works reliably?

Charles Ross
FDG, Inc.
* Direct: 719-291-3459
Message 8 of 9
nestly2

I try to keep up on VIEWBASE/Drawing Views, and I also saw nothing about DV's not being backward compatible until after 2015 was released.  Any warning within the product would have only happened on the 2015 machine, giving a generic warning about some objects not being supported in previous versions. but that warning only appears when saving, and certainly doesn't give proper notice that you've just hosed everyone that's not on the most recent version.

Unfortunately, I have no answers, only empathy for those that have been burned.

Message 9 of 9
RTPrider

I do not trust the new Inventor-style views, either.  They are not flexible and I can not edit the model without going to the model tab where my drawing is not visible.

What I really NEED is a Hidden Visual Style that gives me the same clean graphics I get from Flatshot instead of the clunky/chunky graphics that do not respond to LTscale.  A super wonderful bonus would be if I could hide some hidden lines that are not needed (like tangents, etc.) and save it.  I do not want the 2D stuff from Solprof/Solview with layers created for every view in my dwg file, or a flat block that is not the model itself such as flatshot output.

Just give me what the Hidden Visual Style promises to give but does not.  Let it process the graphics with whatever code module flatshot uses but do not make it into a block or leave it such that updates are manual.

John Petty

Bryan, Texas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost