Did you mean: 

Drawing Template and associated files

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bill.s
864 Views, 2 Replies

Drawing Template and associated files

I have created a drawing template for survey and I need to distribute it to the field crews and eventually put it on the server. The template contains description keys, point styles, point label styles, custom point file formats, figure styles, figure prefix database, line code sets, etc.

How do I transfer all the external files along with the drawing template? Is it a straight forward copy? Etransmit doesn't seem to do it unless additional files are manually included, but I can't figure out what files to include or where they live.

C3D 2014
Windows 7
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jay_B
in reply to: bill.s

@bill.s wrote:
I have created a drawing template for survey and I need to distribute it to the field crews and eventually put it on the server.

Bill,

This should be posted over in the AutoCAD Civil 3D General forum.

It's best to put this stuff on the server right off the bat IMO. If it's to be placed on crews laptops etc. where they will work locally then I would establish the same folder location on every machine and copy the external survey files to that location.

It's also best if one person sets all computers up the same and manages it. This portion isn't necessarily straight forward especially starting out.

@bill.s wrote:
How do I transfer all the external files along with the drawing template? Is it a straight forward copy? Etransmit doesn't seem to do it unless additional files are manually included, but I can't figure out what files to include or where they live.

Look in the Survey dwt you created and under user Settings their current path should be listed there.
Once you've decided where you want them map them in the dwt to this new location (if changed) prior to exporting User Settings.

You're also going to want to set the "Survey Database Settings" to the proper units then export this file so it too can be mapped on the other machines so they all read the proper units. By Default these are set to International Feet for Imperial.

There will be 3 total external files which can all be placed in the same folder for mapping. LCS, FPD & Survey User Settings.

Yes these can be copied / pasted.

You won't be able to simply etransmit the files and have it all function properly for the crews.

Look into QNEW for setting the dwt to load every time Civil 3D is launched. This is specified in OPTIONS and an arg profile can be exported & imported on the other machines.

Setting up the Survey Settings properly takes time, there are several survey tutorials included with civil 3d and some AutoDesk University Classes which can be accessed free on AU website such as "Connecting the Dots is for Kids" that cover this topic.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 3
bill.s
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I couldn't find that info anywhere. If it' documented it's well hidden.
I will give it a go tomorrow.
Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost