Drawing missing items shown in preview

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
macreadhead
7264 Views, 9 Replies

Drawing missing items shown in preview

Hello Forum:

I have a set of 4 drawings that i believe are bound (as they are 30mb), which to my understanding means the XREFs are all within the file. If i open the file i can see the MANY layers that i have now turned every one ON. There is still tons missing from the drawing. (I have an older revision PDF that shows what is missing).

The weird part is that if i try to open the file in autocad, the preview window shows all of the missing things....

Yes, all of my layers are on, yes ive selected all in the layer manager window

Yes, all XREFs are loaded except for 3(which are just logos, and i have proof they are from other files from this client)

Yes, the issue is with model and paper space layouts

Yes, i ran an AUDIT, and there were no errors with the file.

I'm using AutoCAD 2014 on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

Why would so much of this drawing be missing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: macreadhead

Have you hit F2 and read the command history of what all happened while the file was loading? Have you checked the XREF Manager to see if it still believes there are unbound XREFs? You say you turned all layers on, but have you thawed all layers? What happens if you play with the quickselect tool?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 10
macreadhead
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Nothing out of the ordinary in command history, all layers are ON and NOT FROZEN, as i stated the xrefs are all loaded except those 3 mentioned. nothing is selected(that i cant see) if i try to fence around...
Message 4 of 10
rkmcswain

The weird part is that if i try to open the file in autocad, the preview window shows all of the missing things....

Don't put too much stock into the "preview". That is just a snapshot at the last save (probably, but not necessarily). Reference files can be moved or deleted, startup routines can make changes to the drawing before it's displayed at opening, etc.

Do you have DWG Trueview installed? If so, open it there to rule out any startup code making changes.

Back in AutoCAD after you open it, immediately run the "U" command, and repeat until there are no more undos available. Any change?

Erase everything visible, then run the DBLIST command? How many objects are still in the drawing?

If you can't make any progress, can you ZIP and post the drawing here?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 10
pendean

You believe they are bound? So you aren't sure that all Xrefs are present? Did you bind them? Did you by chance explode them? If not you should be able to LIST and find them.
Message 6 of 10
macreadhead
in reply to: pendean

I was given this file from a client, and it lists layers as if they were xrefs, yet it only shows the main drawing, hence my thought it is bound.

Message 7 of 10
macreadhead
in reply to: rkmcswain

Trueview shows the same, Cannot undo anything upon opening in either, If i delete everything i can select, and i purge, it still contains many layers, meaning there are things i cannot see....

Unfortunately i cannot post the file due to security issues.
Message 8 of 10
pendean

Ask your client to resend: you are missing content as it appears you are not doing anything wrong. Ask them not to bind files.

Remember: the preview is irrelevant in AutoCAD, it just shows what the file looked like when it was last saved (with Xrefs not attached or bound or whatever).
Message 9 of 10
macreadhead
in reply to: pendean

PROBLEM SOLVED!

So, it appears that part of the drawing is from Civil3D, and since i do not have the addon to be able to view those entities, i was unable to see most of the drawing.

Thanks for your help! This was really frustrating to figure out....

Message 10 of 10
abdulla.sraac
in reply to: rkmcswain

hello sir,

IN THIS FILE MORE ELEMENTS & ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS ARE MISSING....CAN U PLEASE SOLVE THIS ISSUE...THANK YOU SIR

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost