Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Use AutocAD 2015 - Stay With a Previous Release (Version)

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
cad-pe
1439 Views, 23 Replies

Don't Use AutocAD 2015 - Stay With a Previous Release (Version)

The solution to AutoCAD 2015 is to stay with a previous release (version) until Autodesk gets their act together or use AutoCAD 2015 if you are an entry level, beginner user. The features in AutoCAD 2015 are ideal for the beginner.

Yes, I plan to continue to pay the annual subscription for the next year or two in hopes that that the Autodesk personnel will listen to us users and get our recommendations implemented.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
w64bit
in reply to: cad-pe

Autodesk should understand that FIRST we need bug fixes, options to turn on/off all new things and after that new features.

Bug fixes = from GUI Clear Type glitches to program crashes.

Autodesk. Please collect all complaints and wishlists from this forum and fix AutoCAD.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 24
dgorsman
in reply to: w64bit

Given what some call "bugs" are personalized features, I'd prefer they didn't listen to users.  An architectural AutoCAD (which seems to be one of the loudest user groups) is of no use to me.  If they incorporated my wishlist if I phrased them as bugs, would result in a piping design program which I'm sure most other users would find useless.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 24
cad-pe

+1

I agree. Fix the bugs first and the on/off options.

Message 5 of 24
murray-clack

Remember the 'hoopla' of AutoCAD coming to the MAC?  On one of the Autodesk blogs, it was stated that AutoCAD wasn't being "ported over", but they actually rewrote ALL the code from scratch to ensure it would work properly.  I placed a comment asking "can they do the same thing for the Windows version?".  

The comment was deleted soon afterwords.

But I stand behind the idea that maybe Autodesk should rewrite ecery line of code as opposed to "tacking on" the new features.  I will say I don't know the first thing about coding AutoCAD software, but I thinks it's reasonable that Autodesk should hire expoert coders to sift through the code to find anomolies.

I wonder if at some point instead of issuing a new release every year, they should do with AutoCAD what is being done with smart device apps... just tack on update after update.  The smaller incremental fixes are probbably easier to manage than throwing a whole whack of new features on top of existing code that may or may not work.

Message 6 of 24
cpadilla
in reply to: murray-clack

+1

Message 7 of 24
jggerth
in reply to: murray-clack

@murray-clack wrote:

Remember the 'hoopla' of AutoCAD coming to the MAC?  On one of the Autodesk blogs, it was stated that AutoCAD wasn't being "ported over", but they actually rewrote ALL the code from scratch to ensure it would work properly.  I placed a comment asking "can they do the same thing for the Windows version?".  

The comment was deleted soon afterwords.

But I stand behind the idea that maybe Autodesk should rewrite ecery line of code as opposed to "tacking on" the new features.  I will say I don't know the first thing about coding AutoCAD software, but I thinks it's reasonable that Autodesk should hire expoert coders to sift through the code to find anomolies.

I wonder if at some point instead of issuing a new release every year, they should do with AutoCAD what is being done with smart device apps... just tack on update after update.  The smaller incremental fixes are probbably easier to manage than throwing a whole whack of new features on top of existing code that may or may not work.

well, netscape did the from scratch re-write.  didn't work out so well for them.Smiley Happy

and slapping weekly / monthly fixes out just means that there would be _LESS_ testing and concern about QA.  Release Early - Release Often might be a mantra in the FOSS world, but for mission critical bread-and-butter tools needed to create real-world products -- not a good idea.

Message 8 of 24
mathewkol

-3 to rewriting the code from scratch as Autodesk"s "new feature list" for next year.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 24
pendean

If you want the rewritten AutoCAD, it's out there in two version: autocad360 and AutoCAD for MAC. Make the switch, what are you waiting for? What's the excuse going to be, can't wait to read it LOL 🙂
Message 10 of 24
w64bit
in reply to: pendean

I noticed that every time someone founds the right spot regarding the bugs in AutoCAD and the necessary steps to fix them, a small but compact group of people are:

- directing the conversation elsewhere;

- discussing anything but the subject;

- are posting ironies

all in order to dilute the problem ...

I want to tell you that in this way you are not helping anyone. Not us, not you and surely not Autodesk.

You can do it but we will not stop.

Message 11 of 24
mathewkol

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I see nobody attempting to deflect the conversation in this thread. Dean and I are simply stating that rewriting the code from scratch may not be the best plan of attack. Neither of us are arguing that AutoCAD has bugs that need to be fixed.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 12 of 24
pendean

Agreed with Mathew here: only one going off topic is your last posting. Good deflection: you work for Autodesk?
Message 13 of 24
martti.halminen
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I see nobody attempting to deflect the conversation in this thread. Dean and I are simply stating that rewriting the code from scratch may not be the best plan of attack. Neither of us are arguing that AutoCAD has bugs that need to be fixed.

Actually, the new bugs and a few of the new features rather look like there has been  a major re-write of the graphics system internals. Probably not from scratch but by incorporating pre-existing libraries (including some integration bugs). Given that in the last ten years Autodesk has bought several major graphics programs, they have plenty to choose from.

--

Message 14 of 24
nestly2

@pendean wrote:
Agreed with Mathew here: only one going off topic is your last posting. Good deflection: you work for Autodesk?

Typical... you post an inciteful comment, then accuse someone else of it.    I'm pretty certain you know neither AutoCAD for Mac nor AutoCAD360 viable replacements for "AutoCAD"

AutoCAD could certainly be improved with a major code re-write... that Autodesk is unlikely to do it doesn't diminish the fact.

Message 15 of 24
dgorsman
in reply to: nestly2

Improvement is relative.  For the most part we would end up at the same point, so I have a hard time beleiving there is time for such "busy work".  Not to mention that level of work would introduce a whole new set of problems which won't be found until its out in the wild.  "The grass is always greener, until you have to mow it."

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 16 of 24
braudpat

Hello from France

You are "exegerating" a little bit ... about the 2015 !?

I agree that 2015 is not perfect ! Which software is ???

The 2014 was not a very good release/stable at the beginning but with the SP1, the 2014 is correct ... idem for 2013 ...

The 2014+SP1 or 2013+SP2 are very well adopted in France ...

So I am waiting for a 2015 Service Pack / HotFix ... that will correct all (almost) minor/major bugs and some graphic strange problems !

and let us disable some new features which are ONLY for beginners (Badges for example) !

I am 57 years OLD so I am PATIENT !

In 1995/1996, I have used (during more than TWO Years) the WORST ever published ACAD : AutoCAD R13 ...

I believe that it is impossible to have this "type" of software release TODAY !!

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 17 of 24
pendean

AutoCAD for MAC is a viable usable software, and my subscription to AutoCAD360 is well used here.

Don't believe what you read but don't understand friend.
Message 18 of 24
nestly2

"Viable" and "Viable replacement" are not equal,  my previous comment (as I wrote it) stands.

Message 19 of 24
pendean

You asked for a complete rewrite: don't get mad at me if the two actual examples of what happens with AutoCAD rewrites aren't "viable".
Why would a third one be any different? Why would they "rewrite" the same exact program again? That's just busy work, you have what you asked for already.
Message 20 of 24
REID7800

Purge is actually destroying the Dynamic blocks. If you have a modified dynamic block and don't have a block with the effective block name within the drawing, Acad2015 will convert your dynamic block to a static block and purge the effective dynamic block from the drawing.

_____

Reid B.
_____
Acad 2015
Architecture 2010

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost