Does AutoCAD create STL files?

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Connect34
60727 Views, 21 Replies

Does AutoCAD create STL files?

Hello,

I need to know if AutoCAD creats STL files and if so could you please provide the method?

Thanx

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Connect34
in reply to: Connect34

Ok. I can see that there is a way to save and export STL files from AutoCAD.

The problem I'm facing is this: When I go to open the STL file that I saved it looks like a drawing file. 

1. When I do the save process for STL format, does it save it as a drawing file or is it actually an STL file?

2. When I export a drawing file to STL format where does that file go? Is it saved to my computer?

Message 3 of 22
JDMather

How are you checking the stl file?
It is saved wherever you tell AutoCAD to save it.

Attach your original dwg file and zip and attach the resulting stl file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 22
Connect34
in reply to: JDMather

The only file I have to attach is a drawing file, it's not an STL file. I guess I'm confused becasue I haven't worked with STL conversion much. When I save the drawing as an STL file I cannot find it where I saved it in my documents folder.

1. How do I actually create an STL file?

2. Once an STL file is created, can I re-open the STL in AutoCAD?

3. Why can't I find the STL file after I save it?

Message 5 of 22
JDMather

You ask more questions - but you haven't followed my instructions.

>The only file I have to attach is a drawing file...

I asked you to attach the dwg file here.  First thing I will check is if you have any valid solid geometry to export as stl.

1. use the stlout command or Publish to 3D Print, probably a couple of other ways - but I thought you said you already did this?

2. No, but I thought you said you already did this - that is why I asked how you did this, because I don't know how (just using AutoCAD).

3. (see #1, did you create it or not?)  When you run the stlout command a dialog box should pop up for you to specify a location to save the file (just like any other file).  Post screen shots of what you are doing step-by-step.

And of course, attach your dwg file here as requested earlier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 22
Connect34

I made an STL folder and I saved the STL file to it. There is one saved there allready in the pic for STLOUT.

The problem is after I save it, I cannot find it when I go to open it in the STL folder from AutoCAD. The reason I made the STL folder is becasue I could not find it in my documents folder either. I included the pic as well opening the STL folder. 

I need to be able to create or export an STL for a client. He will need the actual STL file some how. I can create the STL file, but I cannot locate it after it is created.  

Theres is also the certificate of trust which I included the pic of. I need you to explain what that is. Like I said. I haven't worked with STL conversion before.

MOSTLY. I just need to be able to transfer an AutoCAD 3D object as an STL file. The object is not the cylinder you see. It is a different shape. I adjusted the dispsilh, facetres and isolines after creating the cylinder.

Message 7 of 22
JDMather

1. I have asked you at least twice now to attach the dwg file here, you attach pictures?

2. Windows doesn't know what an stl file is (calls it a "certificate of trust list") - your stl file is saved. (you might set Windows to show file extensions (*.stl).

3. What file type are you trying to open in AutoCAD (hint: it clearly says dwg, not stl).

4. I already told you that you cannot open and stl file in AutoCAD, you will need something like Autodesk Inventor.

Attach your dwg file here.

Message 8 of 22
Connect34

Hey I apologize. I thought I had attached it. Here it is. I will set windows to show file extensions.

1. After I create the STL file how do I actually retrieve it to send via email? Is that through file extensions?

Message 9 of 22
Connect34

Ok after showing file ext. I still cannot locate the STL file anywhere. How do I actually retrieve this file?

Message 10 of 22
mrkaplan

when you save the STL using _stlout command , the save dialog ( as in your STLOUT.jpg) has the information.

just click on "STL"  item next to "save in" : it should develop and show you STLfolder location.

that is where you STL file is .

Message 11 of 22
JDMather

as indicated

you have a folder you named stl.

The images YOU posted indicate that your stl.dwg AND your stl.stl files are in that stl folder.

You could use Windows Explorer to Search your HDD for your stl.stl file.

( I would have used some other name for the file.)

Message 12 of 22
pendean

Friend, other that you having file extensions hidden, the three images you posted show and do all you want.

The fact that you called the folder AND the deg file AND the new file STL (which will also have an STL extension once you show it) tells me you've muddied the waters for yourself so much you don't know what to do or select anymore.

Sorry, but who does that? You're thoroughly confusing yourself with that very amateurish naming convention you've adopted: you've already posted what you are looking for: so where are you getting stuck? I suspect you don't know how to attach a file in your email and that's all, right?
Message 13 of 22
Connect34
in reply to: mrkaplan

I'm almost done. I'm able to see an actual STL file extension in my documents. It is the Certificate trust list I believe. And then the STL can only be opened by another program such as Inventor.

Thankyou

Message 14 of 22
JDMather

If you search the web - I'm betting you can find several free viewers.

I am pretty sure that the Hoops ACIS Viewer will also open stl files.

Message 15 of 22
mycorner1703

How are you?

It's simple to create stl file, please don't Export commend, at first I confused.

Just type "stlout" in commend line, and enter key, then commend line says

"select solid or watertight meshes", you may select one.

the objects you may select must be solid.

towardnewworld@gmail.com

Message 16 of 22
mycorner1703

Plese don't go Export commend, then you can't create stl file, at first I confused.

Just type "stlout" in comment line, and enter key. then they say "select solids of watertight meshes",

you may select one, and select objects you want create stl, click enter key, then "yes" click.

Plese confirm the objects you may select must be solid.

towardnewworld@gmail.com

Message 17 of 22
mycorner1703

Plese don't go Export commend, then you can't create stl file, at first I confused.

Just type "stlout" in comment line, and enter key. then they say "select solids of watertight meshes",

you may select one, and select objects you want create stl, click enter key, then "yes" click.

Plese confirm the objects you may select must be solid.

towardnewworld@gmail.com

Message 18 of 22
jb_2014

I am trying to save my file as an .stl file but i am failing epicly. I need to save this to print out on a 3D printer. please walk me through the problem here. It saves as any other file type except .stl which is the one I need.

Message 19 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: jb_2014

I would have started a new thread for this problem.

If you run List command or Properties on the geometry - what do you see.

I see surfaces (can't be exported to stl).

I see hatch (can't be exported to stl).

I see solid hex bodies were I suspect that you really really want hex feature holes.

Surfaces Hatch Solids.PNG

Message 20 of 22
JDMather

I think I would simply

create the 2D profile.

Presspull

stlout

done!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost