Did you mean: 

Disable the 2015 browser?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
22116 Views, 21 Replies

Disable the 2015 browser?

Alright, 2015 introduced an entire embedded Chrome browser for the newtab stuff

(which is a heavy version of the startup screen everyone disabled upon install)...

So you, just like the previous startup screen, disable it (and they didn't even give you a "don't show me this again" switch) and increase the speed-of-use of your CAD (not having to have the extra clicks the newtab introduces)... you think...

Because meanwhile AutoCAD launches, and keeps running, at least 4 (!!!) browsers in your memory - with a minimum requirement of 100 megs. Sure Autodesk probably thinks 100 megs is nothing... but if it's doing nothing anyway....

Nevermind that svhost already does the same, and that it's Chrome, while you may be running IE (if only to keep the overhead on your cad system low) and that AutoCAD also requires you to have that installed (2014 did anyways)

So how do we really get rid of the uneeded/unwanted/unaskedfor/... resource hog 2015 introduced?

The simple option... renaming the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\AcWebBrowser folder seems to work - but what's the likelyhood that acad keeps looking for it and that creating an extra drag?

Anyone has other options?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

They say to set NEWTABMODE to 1 or 2, but I get "no known command" on all my Autocads, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. Is that a real setting?

Message 22 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

In 2016 and higher, start HELP, find the Commands / Variables Obsolete Lists and read them: NEWTAB and NEWTABMODE got dropped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost