Did you mean: 

dimlinear not working for me

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
vinny_f
5703 Views, 9 Replies

dimlinear not working for me

I am going through the tutorial and I have tried everything (except the right way?), but I can't get the dimlinear command to work as described. After I select point A and point B, and then select location of dimension line, it creates (a) solid line(s), completing a polygon, and no dimension. What am I doing wrong? Thanks ahead of time.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: vinny_f

LIST the resulting object(s) or pick on one and go into its Properties.  What kind of entity does it claim to be?

Do you have an appropriate DIMSCALE setting?  It could be that the arrows and text portion are there, but just so small that you don't notice them.

If a larger DIMSCALE value doesn't fix it, a sample drawing file would be helpful.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 10
vinny_f
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I have tried the function on multiple objects such as a rectangle, a vertical line, a horizontal line, an angled line, a triangle, etc. It does not create anything that looks like a dimension line. It acutally connects the two points I chose and draws a solid line or lines between them.

If I provide a drawing (assuming I could figure out how to do that), I don't thnk it will provide any clues, as you would just see different shapes and lines on it. Or will it contain somethng I'm not aware of? 

Message 4 of 10
jggerth

As mentioned, use the LIST command,  what you see may be a badly out of scale Dimension.  Note that Dimensions are their own object, not just lines.....

Message 5 of 10
vinny_f
in reply to: jggerth

I selected the bottom line it drew and issued the LIST command. Please note that before running the DIMLINEAR command, the figure had nothing below the green line. I have included a screenshot of the output of the LIST command set in front of my drawing--not that I can decipher what any of it means. Thanks, again, for your patience and time to help me.

Message 6 of 10
nestly2

+1 for the suggestion that the dimension is being created properly, but the text and arrows are too small to be seen because the DIMSCALE is out of proportion.

Dimscale2.gif

Message 7 of 10
vinny_f
in reply to: nestly2

I'm sure you resolved my problem, nestly2, however, I have a couple of questions, if you would be so kind:

1. To my knwledge, I have not changed the dimension size. Did I inadvertantly create my practice objects so large in comparison or is the default size set too small?

2. In your gif, did you change the default dimension size or just for that particular dimension?

3. I don't have the panel your gif displays on the left, nor have I been able to locate it in any of the menus. Can you please explain how I can chnage it on my app?

Thanks to both of you.

Message 8 of 10
jggerth

That's the Properties panel,  right click on the dimension, and chose Properties from the pop up context menu.

You need to look into Dimension Styles in Help, and in particular the DIMSCALE variable.

Message 9 of 10
nestly2

vinny_f wrote:

I'm sure you resolved my problem, nestly2, however, I have a couple of questions, if you would be so kind:

1. To my knwledge, I have not changed the dimension size. Did I inadvertantly create my practice objects so large in comparison or is the default size set too small?

The "default" dimension text and arrow size for an Imperial drawing is 0.18 and the default DIMSCALE is 1, so the result is text and arrows that are only 0.18 units. So yes, you'd have to change the dimscale/dimstyle for something as large as you made.

vinny_f wrote:

2. In your gif, did you change the default dimension size or just for that particular dimension?

I used the "default" when I placed the dimension because I assumed that's what you had done as well, then I manually changed the DIMSCALE for only that linear dimension to demonstrate how DIMSCALE affects dimension objects

vinny_f wrote:

3. I don't have the panel your gif displays on the left, nor have I been able to locate it in any of the menus. Can you please explain how I can chnage it on my app?

As JGerth said, that's the Properties Panel, it shows all the relevant information about whatver object is selected.  You can open it with CTRL+1,  or type "CH" at the command line, or by selecting the object, then choosing "Properties" from the right click menu.

Message 10 of 10
JPomeroy
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you all; I had the same problem, and this ended a frustrating afternoon for me.  Now I can move on!  Thank you for helping, sometimes this program seems overwhelming!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost