Did you mean: 

Dimensioning 3D solids in paper space question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ShadesOfCourt
965 Views, 2 Replies

Dimensioning 3D solids in paper space question

Hello all,

I have been doing a lot of work using AutoCAD 2013 and 2014 to create 2D drawings. Because they were 2D, I had been using viewports in paper space to do my dimensioning and layouts. I have started a new project where I am doign a lot more 3D solid drawings and was asked to start using the viewbase command instead of the viewport command. The reason as I gathered is in viewports the dimensions may snap to a point that is in the depth of the viewport causing the dimension to be inaccurate. I hadn't heard of that being an issue before and have been looking around for more information about this situation and hadn't found it. Is this an issue that others have run into?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
steve216586
in reply to: ShadesOfCourt

When trying to dimension ordinary 3D objects in paperspace, yes. When using Solview/Soldraw and dimensioning in paperspace, no.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 3
nestly2
in reply to: ShadesOfCourt

I would say the concern about inaccurate dimensions can be dismissed if the same care is used to place dimensions as was used to create the model.  If you're dimensioning an orthographic view, then delta Z between the 1st and 2nd pickpoint on the model is ignored regardless of whether the dimension is in modelspace, paperspace, or a VIEWBASE drawing view.  Similarly, none of those 3 methods will automatically adjust for foreshortening when the intention is to dimension into the Z-axis.

Whether VIEWBASE is the best method for creating 2D documentation of your 3D model depends on many factors, but IMO concerns about accuracy is not among them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost