Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMENSION STYLE MODIFICATION

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kkuthan
337 Views, 6 Replies

DIMENSION STYLE MODIFICATION

Is there a way to set a fractional dimension style to to round down to the nearest 1/16" and then place at the end of the dimension + 1/64",+1/32" or +3/64" depending on the the physical length. I have played around with the tolerances and alternate units but neither have gotten me the result I am looking for. Thank you for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: kkuthan

I know you can add a suffix to the dimension style, but I dont know if you can automatically add one based on length. 

Message 3 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to set a fractional dimension style to to round down to the nearest 1/16" and then place at the end of the dimension + 1/64",+1/32" or +3/64" depending on the the physical length. I have played around with the tolerances and alternate units but neither have gotten me the result I am looking for. Thank you for any help.

With the always-rounding-down aspect and the variable suffix, I can only imagine that it would require a text-content override.  A routine could certainly be made to construct that from the measured length and impose it on the Dimension.  The danger is that it would not update when you Stretched or grip-dragged the Dimension -- you would have to be conscious enough to know that it's a Dimension with an override, and run the routine on it again to adjust the override content.  Maybe you would want two routines, one to do it in the process of making the Dimension in the first place, and one to do it to existing Dimensions, either for updating changed ones or formatting previously-existing ones.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 7
kkuthan
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

yea I am looking for it to be dynamic, i.e. to change automatically when length is changed. my problem is we need to be accurate to the 1/64" for our products by my workers complain when they have to figure out 1/64 fractions on a tape measure for example 12-53/64" is hard to figure out but 12-13/16"+1/64" is easy. Is this something AutoCAD could incorporate in into the next release?

Message 5 of 7
jggerth

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on Adesk to incorporate that kind of functionality.  I'd rather expect furlongs as a standard unit first....

Other than Kent's idea of programmatically forcing a text over-ride (which maybe could be tied in with a reactor to update the text string?)  I'd just plan on teaching my people how to divide by two, four, and eight in their heads.  

Message 6 of 7
kkuthan
in reply to: jggerth

I would have better luck asking Autodesk to add that function to the tolerance tab in dimension style manager. 😉

Message 7 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: jggerth

@jggerth wrote:

....  I'd just plan on teaching my people how to divide by two, four, and eight in their heads.  

Or, give everyone a simple chart to tack up next to where they work:

64ths of an inch relative to 1/16" increments:

0  0

1  0 + 1/64

2  0 + 1/32

3  0 + 3/64

4  1/16

5  1/16 + 1/64

52  13/16

53  13/16 + 1/64

54  13/16 + 1/32

55  13/16 + 3/64

56  7/8

57  7/8 + 1/64

58  7/8 + 1/32

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost