Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension (DimStyle) that adapts to Viewport Scale in Paper Space (Layout)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
V08J11
72866 Views, 12 Replies

Dimension (DimStyle) that adapts to Viewport Scale in Paper Space (Layout)

Hello, I did my due dilligence for much time now (hoursss), so I think I deserve to post.

Consider the following... I am in Paper Space (the Layout tab).  LTS = 1, DIMSCALE = 1, DIMFLAC = 1, DIMASSOC = 1, and DimStyle properties are attached.  

Objective #1: Snap to Objects when creating a Dimension in Viewport

I always use QDIM instead of DIM to insert Dimensions.  I cannot get QDIM to snap to the objects seen inside my Viewport.  Note that I don't want to go inside my Viewport (MSPACE) since I want the dimension to reside in Paper Space.  Why can't I snap?  The only way I can create a dimension in Paper Space is to draw a line and dimension that, or copy a dimension from somewhere else.  When I try to create a dimension with DIM, it prompts Dim, but I can't click anywhere or otherwise not sure what to do.      

Objective #2: Dimension adapts to Scale in Viewport   

I have a 1' = 1' Viewport, and a 1/4" = 1' Viewport.  I want to dimension the same object in these Viewports with one single DimStyle, and have the dimension adapt to the scale of the Viewport.  What do my settings need to be?  The Viewports are Annotative with the corresponding scales.  I understand Annotative Dimensions are used for this reason, but shoot, how do you actually get them to work?!  If it's not too much to ask, can you walk us through it step by step please as I'm sure others will appreciate it?!

PS Critiquing users who dimension in Paper Space is counterproductive, and not the point of the Post.  

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nestly2
in reply to: V08J11

1)  I have no idea, but I'm not surprised that QDIM doesn't/can't drill through paperspace to make simultanious multiple associations.  Heck, associative dimensions are pretty fragile even when picking one point at at time.  As a side note, there are many instances where QDIM will not give satisfactory results even in Modelspace, so my opinion on that is that if you're going to create professional drawings, you'll have reduce your reliance on QDIM.

2) Easy peasy....  Pick an annotative dimstyle and start dimensioning.  If the Scalelist in the status bar is used to set the viewport scale, any dimension, mtext, hatches, mleaders that are "Annotative" will automatically be scaled to be the correct size on paper.

Message 3 of 13
V08J11
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for the reply nestly!!!  OK, so I think since I am not used to the DIM command, how do you Dimension with this?  What do you do at the first, second, third, and so on, prompts?  I am not able to click or lay down a dimension anywhere when I type this in.  Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance with such a fundamental command.   

Message 4 of 13
nestly2

It's not the "DIM" command, rather pick the specific dimension tool you need.  Youtube is lots of dimensioning tutorials... here's a good one to start with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYChKlwFgrQ

Message 5 of 13
V08J11
in reply to: nestly2

Oh my gosh, it's awesome!!! Smiley Very Happy Thank you so much, it worked!  Don't know why I've been using QDIM instead of DIMLIN or other. 

Message 6 of 13
jggerth

As an FYI -- you can set DIMSCALE to 0 instead of one, to get comparable effects to using an Annotative style.  With DIMSCALE = 0, the dimension will be placed at a scale of 1 in Paperspace, and will be scaled to match the viewport when placed in modelspace through a viewport.

the difference is that the DIM entity will not automagically resize itself when the viewport scale changes, or when viewed through a different viewport.

Message 7 of 13
V08J11

Thank you nestly2 and JGerth.  You've helped solved the answer.  Allow me to accept as a solution the information below as a guideline to setting up a single Dimension Style, Text Style, and Leader Style that not only works in Paper Space, but also Model Space.  Note that I am choosing not to work with Annotative objects.

First, under Options > User Preferences > Associate Dimensioning, check the box, "Make new dimensions associative".   

Settings for Text STYLE:

• Set Height at 0 units.  This will allow the text to scale along with the DIMSTYLE or LEADSTYLE. 

Settings for DIMSTYLE:

• Choose the Text style created above. 
  • Under Fit > Scale for Dimension Features, select "Scale dimensions to layout".  This will not constrain the size of your dimension.  
  • Under Primary Units > Measurement scale, set "Scale Factor" at 1, and uncheck "Apply to layout dimensions only".

Settings for LEADERSTYLE:  

• Under Leader Structure > Scale, select "Scale multileaders to layout".  
  • Under Content, choose the Text style created above. 

When creating Dimensions, Text, or Leaders in Paper Space:

1. Set your settings DIMSCALE = 1 (0 OK), DIMASSOC = 1, DIMLFAC = 1.  
  2. Create your Viewports, and under Properties, set the Standard Scale you choose, i.e. 1/8"=1'-0".  
  3. You can now start to dimension in Paper Space the objects in your Viewports using DIMLIN, or alike (not DIM or QDIM!).  Make sure to snap to real geometry, not annotative objects, as I found this the hard way.  

When creating Dimensions, Text, or Leaders in Model Space:

1. Allow DIMSCALE to do all the work for you.  No need to set up multiple Dimension Styles, Text Styles, or Leader Styles that are scaled proportionally to your objects.
  2. Set your DIMSCALE to the size that works with the scale of your objects.  If I am working on a plan of a 20,000 sq.ft. building, then the appropriate DIMSCALE would be 96 for 1/8" scale.  If I am detailing a screw or bolted connection, then I will set the DIMSCALE to 1.  

Hopefully this covers it in a nutshell.  

PS I am attaching screenshots of the settings mentioned above.  

Message 8 of 13
TiStars

Thank you for your answer, but it doesn't work for me.

My post is here

天涯海角的山姆

您认为此帖子是否有用?欢迎为此帖点赞。

您的问题是否已得到解答?请点击“接受解答”按钮。

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

thank you much, i was wrongly trying annotative scaling(for dimensioning) but never worked!

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Tried this and several other steps but they are not working for me. Thank you for posting.

Message 11 of 13
ghakonson

This solution absolutely worked.

Message 12 of 13
RobJonesWJSDF

This didn't work for me until I set "DIMASSOC" value to "2" instead of "1"

see link: Dimensions show incorrect values in paper space in AutoCAD (autodesk.com)

Message 13 of 13
ldkmagee
in reply to: RobJonesWJSDF

Thanks for suggesting changing DIMASSOC to 2 - I tried all of the steps above, but that's the one that fixed this issue for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost