Did you mean: 

Dim Style and Multileader Style Preview

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
jamied2000
2546 Views, 18 Replies

Dim Style and Multileader Style Preview

I just installed AutoCAD 2015.  One thing that I am not needing is the preview that comes with the Dim Style and the Multileader Style list in the ribbon.  Is there a way to change it back to the list without the preview?  When i go to change the style it takes longer to pull this up than it did when it was only a list.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: jamied2000

I don't have 2015 installed, but in 2013 in general these sorts of "preview" settings are controlled by system variables that include "preview" in their names.

For example, if I run the Express Tool SysVDlg, and enter search criteria *preview*, these show up:

SysVar_Preview.png

If you can't find a place in Options (I assume that still exists in 2015!), you might find it by experimentation here.

Message 3 of 19
nestly2

Those are called Ribbon Galleries, and as far as I can tell, they altered the Ribbon combo box controls to include the Gallery previews, and they can't be disabled (unless you can find a way to replace the new 2015 ribbon control with the 2014 versions)

I also find them unnecessary.... as well as annoying.... not to mention the overhead they must add to the Ribbon, particurally for block galleries.  Another case were they should have included a sysvar to permit users to opt-out of a new gimmick.

More  --> http://autocadinsider.autodesk.com/my_weblog/2014/04/autocad-2015-ribbon-galleries.html

Message 4 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: nestly2

Oooh, another reason to "hate" the ribbon! Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 19
jamied2000
in reply to: dmfrazier

I went into system varibles and had the same results that you show in your attached picture.  There is nothing in there about the ribbon galleries.

Message 6 of 19
nestly2
in reply to: dmfrazier

I've given up on hating the Ribbon... instead I mostly direct my ire toward the "new features" development team that doesn't have a good grasp on the difference between productivity and a gimmick.

Message 7 of 19
dmfrazier

I thought it was worth a shot. Smiley Sad

Looks like you might have your (unsatisfactory) answer (at least for the moment) in message #3, though.

Message 8 of 19
jamied2000
in reply to: nestly2

Same here.  I am actually getting very use to the Ribbon.  But this ribbon gallery thing makes it when i go to click on a command up there slower because of them previews.

Message 9 of 19
Shawn_Niles

There is not currently a way to turn off the ribbon galleries. Please use the feedback link below to submit a request to have such an option added to a future service pack or release.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Shawn Niles
Message 10 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

Shawn_Niles wrote:

There is not currently a way to turn off the ribbon galleries.

Feedback given, but I want to say it here too.

Please stop changing the UI every release, and when you do, please provide a way to restore the way it was.

There is zero chance that picking a style from a "ribbon gallery" can be faster than picking a name from a list, when you know the name you want - so why take away the option of picking from a list?

@jamied2000  - you can use the Dimension style dropdown in the Dimension toolbar to mimic the pre-2015 dropdowns for dimstyle selection. Also, the Styles toolbar contains simple drop-down controls for Textstyle, Dimstyle, TableStyle, and Multileader Styles.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 11 of 19
Gelby4
in reply to: rkmcswain

Can you please explain how to make the toolbars "mimic the pre-2015 dropdowns"?
Message 12 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: Gelby4

tygelb wrote:
Can you please explain how to make the toolbars "mimic the pre-2015 dropdowns"?

Turn on the dimension toolbar.

dimtoolbar.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 19
Gelby4

Oh, my mistake. I thought you meant you can have it mimic the list, without having it be the separate toolbar.
Message 14 of 19
Mr.Graves

the "styles" toolbar is much more simplified, shows list style pulldowns for dim style, text style, table style and multi leader style.

Image 15.png

Message 15 of 19
mikeevans6697
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

Nearly two years later and no service pack fix? And your link is no longer valid for feedback.

Message 16 of 19
jwolbert

The system variable you are looking for GALLERYVIEW.  This will make the drop down menus for Dim Styles and Leader Styles into a list format. Text Style remains in a preview gallery mode though.

Message 17 of 19
mikeevans6697
in reply to: jwolbert

Unknown command in Civil3D 2015 SP3.

Message 18 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: mikeevans6697

Message 19 of 19
Anthony0745
in reply to: jwolbert

Stumbled across this old post as I came across the same problem.

This is the exact answer I believe the originator was looking for, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost