Did you mean: 

Developing Connected Piping System in AutoCAD 2013

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
charles.lin11
1641 Views, 18 Replies

Developing Connected Piping System in AutoCAD 2013

Hi there

I was wondering how can I develope a proper piping system just like the one in the attached picture in AutoCAD 2013.

As you can see the tubes aren't that greatly connected.

Each tube is blocking the pathway of the other tube.

I need them to be all connected.

The reason why, is because I will be later using this design in Inventor Fusion and Simulation CFD to have fluid in the tubes.

Thanks in advance

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi,

why developing what already exists? What about AutoCAD Plant3D >>>click<<< .. or if not, why not?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 19

Can the pipes be attached to a device designed in AutoCAD?
Message 4 of 19

Hi,

sorry, I'm no Plant3D user, and this here is not the forum for Plant 3D, so I would suggest that you ask your question in the forum for Plant 3D >>>here<<<.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 19
steve216586
in reply to: charles.lin11

The results which you are looking for can be done in Vanilla AutoCAD. You don't need another vertical application to do a simple drawing like this. The pipe work looks like it will be welded. Your drawing needs to represent that fact. It looks like someone just drew some circles and extruded them until they crossed paths with another pipe. Or should I say bar, because what is shown is not pipe. Pipe is hollow. You can get the person, who drew the figure in the picture, to learn a little more about 3D drawing using commands such as union, subtraction and intersection to start. This type of drawing is something I do on a daily basis and should only take about 1/2 hour. I think the biggest problem with what you have is the pipe should only be extruded to the centers not all the way to the other side of the intersecting pipe. That way you will have an arc to show the weld as well as the ability to have a fluid flow through from one pipe to another.  See attached pic. The end plate is removed to show the interior of the pipe.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 19
charles.lin11
in reply to: steve216586

Thank you...

What do you think woul solve the issue of the middle part, where all pipes should look like they are connected?

Well all 5 pipes should be connected to a the 6th which is the biggest.

Mentioning commands used will be highley appreciated

Message 7 of 19
steve216586

You'll need a custom manifold. Take a look at the pic. It would have to fit with your sizes of pipe but in theory it would be built the same. The view is from the bottom looking up through, into where all the other smaller pipe connect. You can then reduce down to the larger pipe in your drawing.

Message 8 of 19
rculp

<deleted>

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 9 of 19
rculp

Not quite sure what you're looking for here, so I am going to assume you want to know basics about how to model the components. 

The commands to investigate include:

CYLINDER to create the inside diameter and outside diameters of the pipes

SUBTRACT to subtract the inside from the outside

or

REGION to create a region between to circles and

EXTRUDE to create the pipe from the region

SLICE will cut the pipe at specific locations

UNION will 'glue' two solids into one

A tip is to duplicate some solids (cylinders) like the larger pipe in the middle then SUBTRACT the duplicate from the smaller pipes to create the "saddle" on the end of the pipe.

If I'm off track here just let me know.  If you wants more specifics on the above, we can help there as well

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 10 of 19
steve216586
in reply to: rculp

I actually used a much simpler set of commands to build the model.

Circle

Array

Move

Extrude

Copy

Subtract

(Not in that order)  Only two of those are 3D commands. K.I.S.S.

Message 11 of 19
rculp

Yes Steve, those could work in creating the piece, however Cylinder is simply Circle+Extrude with less effort, the creation of the base with CYLINDER is the exactly the same as circle, you just add the EXTRUDED height or the center location or the other end.  With CIRCLE you must set your UCS to match the orientation or ALIGN the cylnder after extrusion.  While the commands may be simpler the process required to obtain th edesired results is more complex.

SLICE is an excellent tool when working with 3D solids, expsecially if you add just a little lisp to speed it up.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 12 of 19
steve216586

rculp,

LISP. Are you kidding? You are, right? Did you even look at the OP's pic? You're too funny.

BTW, I didn't have to rotate UCS nor use ALIGN once. My process took under 5 minutes to create the entire design. How much more simpler can it get?

Message 13 of 19
rculp

And what exactly is wrong with lisp, sir?

Please enlighten me as to what you used to place the circles/cylinders at right angle to one another??

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 14 of 19
steve216586

There is nothing wrong with LISP. I only laugh because you throw it out there like everyone knows what they are, let alone creating, loading and using them. Read the boards; beginners or novice users don't know about advanced features like LISP or Diesel expressions.

I did say I used ARRAY.

Message 15 of 19
rculp

While discussing the SLICE command I merely made reference to expanding their ease of use via lisp, something nearly anyone could accomplish in 10 minutes.

Now to the question you skipped, please tell us how you created sylinders at right angles without modifying your UCS or using the ALIGN or cylinder commands.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 16 of 19
nestly2

PLINE

CIRCLE

SWEEP

3DROTATE

CYLINDER

ARRAY

EXPLODE

UNION

SOLIDEDIT > SHELL

pipemanifold.gif

Message 17 of 19
steve216586
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you nestly for the clip.

Message 18 of 19
steve216586

I answered with my reference to the command ARRAY.

Message 19 of 19
rculp
in reply to: nestly2

Excellent clip Mr. Nestly,

But to be clear the 3drotate command does indeed temporarily alter the ucs.

I noticed you also have discovered the tedium of removing faces with the solidedit->body->shell function.  I asked for a 'selected face only option on a wishlist for 2010, but no cigar.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost