Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDEDIT Unknown Command

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
Jason.Piercey
12372 Views, 44 Replies

DDEDIT Unknown Command

In AutoCAD 2015 the help files state DDEDIT (obsolete) should invoke the TEXTEDIT command.  It does not.  This apparently works fine in LT but not regular AutoCAD.

For those that have customizations using DDEDIT, you'll need to modify them.

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
pendean
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Perhaps it's not defined in your ACAD.PGP file? Mine has this in R2015 and works fine when typed (I never use the migration option):
DDEDIT, *TEXTEDIT
Message 3 of 45
rkmcswain

Mine is the same as Dean's. 

DDEDIT is defined in the stock OOTB PGP file.

When I comment it out, DDEDIT is an unknown command.

Side note.....finally getting rid of these R12 "DD" commands.... 🙂

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 45
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: rkmcswain

I haven't used the OOTB PGP file for years.  I copied my PGP from 2014 (no DDEDIT defined) for use in 2015.

The command works fine in 2014, not in 2015 (unless the PGP is modified, apparently.)

Message 5 of 45
pendean

And there is your problem: you did not update your personal file for the new program.

When we upgrade we take the time and review core files with ours (PGP, LIN, PAT, CUIx, LISPs and more),catch differences, make updates and corrections. We also take the time to read through HELP's Dead/Retired/altered commands lists to ensure whenever get jammed up. All this is part of a very focused deliberate migration process.

You should never do what you did on a production PC when you have deadlines: time for you to fix it all and update your PGP file among others.

Happy Cad Managing.
Message 6 of 45
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
And there is your problem: you did not update your personal file for the new program.

Not the problem at all.  The real solution for my case is to update the customiation to use the actual command name (TextEdit) instead of relying on Autodesk-based-PGP-kludgery.

Message 7 of 45
dseaton

While were on this subject, Just upgraded to AutoCAD 2015 and have the usual job of trying to make it work how I want and not how the development team want.

I used to use the DDEDIT command to edit multiple items of text, but in their superior wisdom AutoCAD have decided to supersede this command with TEXTEDIT. OK so it seems to work in the same way except for one crucial difference.

DDEDIT would allow you to select another piece of text once you had finished editing the first.
TEXTEDIT however the command exits after you have edited the text.

So if I have say 50 pieces of text to edit I now have to press return to rerun the last command before I can select the next piece of text, that is once I have noticed that the command has exited and I have to rerun it.
I also find my self pressing return as you did to exit the old DDEDIT command which then reruns the new TEXTEDIT command, so it is annoying me both ways.

Has anyone got a workaround to get back to the old behaviour before I put my fist through the monitor?

Message 8 of 45
pendean
in reply to: dseaton

Do you type, or click a button, to launch the command? You've always been able to have any command repeat constantly in AutoCAD.
Message 9 of 45

There is a workaround without DDEDIT to edit mutliple Mtexts: Select them all first and in the property palette click the three dots at the right of the "Contents" Property. Now edit the first text and then Press Ctrl+Enter (or click OK) to jump to the next text. This does not work with single line text though.

Message 10 of 45
dseaton
in reply to: massimo.corradi

Massimo, this does work, but most of the time I need to open them in sequence and edit them because I need to increment a number.

Message 11 of 45
pendean
in reply to: massimo.corradi

Or just create a little LISP (if you type) or add a * to the front of the macro (if you click a button) instead and not change your behavior at all 🙂

You can also explore the ancient command MULTIPLE that basically repeats any command after it until you cancel.

Or explore other tips over that last dozen years: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+autocad+repeat+a+command

Message 12 of 45
pendean

There are several free 'increment' tools on the Autodesk Excahnge Apps website, grab, install, and help yourself.
Message 13 of 45
dseaton

Dean,

I type the command ED, for which I have the following in the .pgp file

ED,      *TEXTEDIT

This however does not continue to edit text until you exit the command like ddedit.

Message 14 of 45
dseaton

Dean,

Thanks for the replies. I'm using LT so a lisp is out of the question.

"*^c^cTEXTEDIT" works as does "multiple textedit" from a button.

Is there anyway to get this from a typed command 'ED'.

I have been doing this so long its a nightmare to change.

Message 15 of 45
GrantsPirate

Use MULTIPLE enter TEXTEDIT, add that to a macro, lisp, toobar, etc.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 16 of 45
pendean

No, LT doesn't offer that convenience (you're posting in the wrong forum). Full AutoCAD is it.
I've not tried it but you could create a shift+"something" (or other sticky key combo) to launch that command then use <enter> or a quick mouse right click to relaunch it.

Or add that macro to a right click selection.
Message 17 of 45
albionpjl

I have just stumbled over this problem.

First time I have to edit loads of isolated bits of text that are scattered around the drawing and now I have to double click each and every one to restart the edittext command. Lisp not an option; I can't write a lisp command and am not allowed to download scripts from the web. Why has Autodesk altered something that has worked in a certain way for years??

OK I can type multiple first, and, yeah, thanks for that reminder as I had forgotten that command existed, but I wish they would leave things like that well alone. It was fine how it was for years. Why 'improve' it to have less function?

(Silly me! This IS a computer program we are talking about. Almost every other company in the world 'improves' software by removing functionality that people use and replacing it with something no-one asked for. Why should Autodesk be any different?)

Memo to self.. type multiple first. Maybe I'd better make a button for it.

Message 18 of 45
dseaton
in reply to: albionpjl

thank you. it's not just me then!

Message 19 of 45
albionpjl

Every time I process and print off a survey, I have to overlay a 20m grid across it and type the coordinates on each point.

Easiest way I have found so far is to type one easting and then copy paste that along the bottom row and then zoom out, start the text edit command and just click on each bit of text and edit the last couple of digits to increase by 20. Then copy the row of text up the grid. Then repeat with the northings.

Double clicking not a good option as I was having to zoom back in to be sure I double clicked on the text and not on the grid line, then zoom back out to the next one.

I suppose I'll get used to typing multiple first......eventually.....just before they change it again.

Of course, it's not helping that the digitising PC that's attached to the old big tablet is running an older version and will still do it the old way when I'm adding the identification numbers to the segments as I digitise. 2 versions of Cad with 2 different versions of the same command! Cue total confusion!

Mutter...grumble....time for a cup of tea!

Message 20 of 45
pendean
in reply to: albionpjl

Again, it's not eh same command: DDEDIT is gone, it was replaces with TEXTEDIT command in 2015. It's a different command that works differently.

You can automate with LISP to "multiple" before you start: since DDEDIT is gone, you can call your lisp that or DD. Need help writing the code?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost