Creating new file using command saveas and staying in new file

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
janez.merhar
482 Views, 10 Replies

Creating new file using command saveas and staying in new file

Hello, I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to:

I have an open drawing in AutoCAD 2014 (I suppose version of AutoCAD doesn'r really matter in this case, though...), and I want to make a copy of that drawing.

Of course I use command saveas. When the copy is created, AutoCAD lets me stay in my original drawing, although I would prefer to continue my work in a newly created copy of original file  (similar to MS Office documents).

Does anyone have any idea where to change the settings for that?

Thank you all and good luck with your work! Smiley Happy

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

>> Of course I use command saveas. When the copy is created, AutoCAD lets me stay in my original drawing,

When you start command _SAVEAS and you give your current drawing a new name you are working with the drawing with the new name.

That's what you liked? Or I don't understand the need?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11

Yes, exactly. I want to continue working in a new drawing, instead of closing the previous and opening a new one.

Message 4 of 11

Hi,

so it's working as you need it, what is the issue then?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 11

Smiley Happy

No, it's not working that way. AutoCAD in my case creates a new file but it doesn't open it.

This is what happens in my case:

- file opened: "01.dwg".

- SAVEAS to "02.dwg".

- file opened: still "01.dwg"

My preference:

- file opened: "01.dwg".

- SAVEAS to "02.dwg".

- file opened: "02.dwg"

So AutoCAD should automatically switch to a new copy. That's what I want.

I hope this is more undestandable.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 11

Hi,

how do you check, that the opened file is "01.DWG" after you saved it to the new name "02.dwg".

Or just another idea ==> have you installed the latest service pack? Because without SP it was a problem of refreshing the ribbon content of the  opened files.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 11
M_Hensley
in reply to: janez.merhar

The normal behavior of saveas is to close the original and leave you working in the new drawing. There is no setting I know of that can change that. You may need to repair AutoCAD in control panel if it is not behaving this way for you.

Message 8 of 11

"how do you check, that the opened file is "01.DWG" after you saved it to the new name "02.dwg".

Every application or program shows a filename in the upper border frame and besides that an opened dwg drawing always creates some temporary files (dwl, dwl2).

So I'm most certain that my situation is as described.

"The normal behavior of saveas is to close the original and leave you working in the new drawing. There is no setting I know of that can change that."

Hm.. I was kinda afraid of that sort of answers. Although I had that same situation in previous versions of AutoCAD, I'm pretty sure of that.

Message 9 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: janez.merhar

That sounds like the behavior of "SAVE", not SAVEAS"

AutoCAD Save (Three different ones)  - Between the Lines

Message 10 of 11
janez.merhar
in reply to: nestly2

OMG!

My friend, you have just solved my issue!

I read your comment and immediately checked my alias list - and there it is! Shortcut "SA" reffers to command SAVE instead of SAVEAS!

I must admit I would have NEVER thought of that.... Suppose it's time to refresh my pgp list.... Smiley Very Happy

I really thank you all for your quick response and all the answers, you're awesome!

Take care and ... good luck!  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11
janez.merhar
in reply to: nestly2

Yes, well I'm using keyboard shortcuts a lot, so I'm using "quicksave" and (apparently) "save" commands for many years. I created my pgp file way back with AutoCAD version 11 (not 2011!)... So that difference betweem "save" and "saveas" commands obviously didn't bother me untill Microsoft started to use that same "saveas" approach in new versions of Office.... Or at least that's my point of view.  Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost