Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating curved surface from splines

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
andyandy26
1121 Views, 4 Replies

creating curved surface from splines

For a while now I have been attempting to create a curved suface from spline - based contour lines.

I have attempted to create a curve network with little success. It simply states that it cannot create a network from my curves.

attached you will find the drawing.

It is a boat hull of my father's and would prefer if someone informed me if it is possible or not. Smiley Frustrated

My plan is to move then from a surface using a offset to create a solid hull. 

Thanks in advance...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
parkr4st
in reply to: andyandy26

attached is my effort.

I separated components onto layers and used Loft command on the profiles on layer 3.  I drew in a short line at the prow for the profile. You can change that by drawing in the final cross section if it needs to be different.

I left layer 4 empty. you can make it the current layer and try the loft on that layer.

you can mirrorr the surface and jpin to form the entire hull and work on the thickness from there.

dave

Message 3 of 5
andyandy26
in reply to: parkr4st

Thank you very much for your effort. I have previously attempted the use of the loft command however ran into the issue that I could not have it conform to the stiffners/contours and the keel of the hull. I also could never get it to work with the point of the bow (which you substitued for a line).

I have also attempted to use additional programs such as Rhino3d however encountered the same issue.

I'm at a loss with this. Smiley Sad

Is there possible a means that I can make the loft conform to the horizontal lines?

Message 4 of 5
Yorx57
in reply to: andyandy26

Try looking at Surface Network - I have done a small portion to give you an idea.  I did however have to re-draw the frame portion I used to have the splines meet up properly, ie: intersect each other.

Message 5 of 5
andyandy26
in reply to: Yorx57

I attempted surface networks before however I meet an impass when attempting the section of the keel (bottom of hull) that bends vertically. This section (or the entire keel section) fails to produce a surface network...

by lacking of intersections, how did you make the splines meet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost