AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 11 of 23 (1,345 Views)

Re: Crash when closing drawing

12-15-2012 06:14 AM in reply to: emljjn
Friend, you state this only happens occasionally: what is unique about that situation? Is it the same file? Or the same task? Or file location? File source? Circumstance of what unique task you are doing in it? Have you tried kicking Win7 into a diagnostic mode and see if you can duplicate the crashes? Are you able to recreate the crash at will? If not, no one else can either.
There is no universal fix for an "occasional" problem: you the end user need to discover what is unique about that time/place/file/add-on/ action/ anything that may be a trigger.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
emljjn
Message 12 of 23 (1,341 Views)

12-15-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: pendean

I have been able to identify when it will crash. If I have one or multiple drawings open does not seem to matter.

After working on a drawing for a while, if I hit save, then close the drawing, AutoCAD will crash. If I hit save, and wait ten minutes, I can close the program, or file safely.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 13 of 23 (1,336 Views)

12-15-2012 06:36 AM in reply to: emljjn

Hi,

>> After working on a drawing for a while, if I hit save, then close the drawing, AutoCAD will crash.

I tried it in the way you described it, but I can't reproduce a crash then.

So something is different, let's start with the drawing type: does that also happen with a brand new drawing based on an original AutoCAD-template?

Next is the storage location, does that issue happen to you for drawings on network as well as on drawings located on the local harddisk?

Have you tried to disable antivirus and other defending-software for testing?

Have you installed SP1.1?

Do you have any application or tool (or one of the apps available on www) on top of your AutoCAD?

If everything fails, a good test is also to login to your Windows with another login-name and try it again.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
emljjn
Message 14 of 23 (1,332 Views)

12-15-2012 07:07 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

All of the files are stored on my laptop. This will happen with new files and old files. I often have a couple of other programs open(Excell, Outlook, IE) while I work in AutoCAD. I also use a docking station in order to have two screens.

All of my software is up to date.

Could I just be over tasking my machine? It has a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.06GHz, and 8GB of RAM.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 15 of 23 (1,329 Views)

12-15-2012 07:16 AM in reply to: emljjn

Hi,

>> I often have a couple of other programs open(Excell, Outlook, IE) while I work in AutoCAD

I don't think that other software (parallel to AutoCAD) is loaded, my question was more "apps running within AutoCAD".

>> Could I just be over tasking my machine?

Other software may limit AutoCAD in case of memory-limitations, so take a look to the task-manager how many of your 8GB is free when getting that issue. But to make sure you can reboot your workstation and start nothing more than AutoCAD to test it.

>> All of the files are stored on my laptop.

Try then to use another destination, e.g. a USB-device, ...just for testing!

Also try to disable your antivirus software while this test period.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 16 of 23 (1,323 Views)

12-15-2012 11:19 AM in reply to: emljjn
Run MSCONFIG in Win7, and click to start Windows in Diagnostic Mode (this unloads almost everything running in the background when you restart Win7) and test AutoCAD and try to repeat the problem.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
mikesidea
Message 17 of 23 (1,283 Views)

01-16-2013 09:16 AM in reply to: emljjn

This is most certainally the HP driver issue (I believe I was on 6.07.2?). We have the same plotter (HP 500). I had removed the plotter and driver (also through printer managment) and now I no longer have the problem. Our plotter was also networked.

Contributor
CCrabtree1
Message 18 of 23 (1,239 Views)

02-12-2013 04:42 AM in reply to: pendean

Hello mikesidea or anybody with this problem really,  I think one of our work stations here is having this problem. He has recently had his workstation upgraded to a Windows 7 64 bit machine  and we also have a Designjet 500.  After you removed the plotter and driver and everything worked did you end up getting a new driver or did you end up having to get another plotter?  If anyone has more info on this please let me know, this crashing everytime you close a drawing gets very old very quick.     

Windows 7 64 bit
16 GB ram
Intel i7 2600 3.4 ghz
AMD radeon HD 6450
PDSU 2013
mikesidea
Message 19 of 23 (1,226 Views)

02-12-2013 02:23 PM in reply to: CCrabtree1

I solved it by removing the device from the printers list AND this step: 

1. Win 7- Type in "Print Managment" in the search, open.

2. On the left panel, open the "All Drivers" folder.

3. Find and Delete the driver for the HP 500.

Now you have truely removed the device.

Once you have done that, than re-add the device as normal. Not sure why it worked, but for the time being it hasnt been crashing. Hope that helps. We are still using the same "most recent" drivers and same plotter.

Contributor
IsomaAde
Message 20 of 23 (951 Views)

03-08-2013 11:54 PM in reply to: mikesidea

Hurrah!

Uninstalling & reinstalling the HP driver has worked. I now have a stable AutoCAD that I can rely on again. Many thanks for all of your advice. Sorted just in time for 2014 version.

Cheers

Ade

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.