AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

acqualife
Message 1 of 7 (386 Views)
Accepted Solution

Couple quick questions

386 Views, 6 Replies
10-12-2012 09:32 AM

Is there a way in the command line to select certain objects. For instance if there is a cirlce a line and a square can i just select the circle using the command line. When i try to save as an STL file i can't find it anywhere. Does surfsculpt not work? Everytime i use it it says it failed. Also when i make an ellipse is there anywhere to specify the X Y and Z lenghts?

Thanks

Hi,

>> Is there a way in the command line to select certain objects

>> For instance if there is a cirlce

Yes, either using _QSELECT or _FILTER (>>>details<<<) or e.g. LISP-ssget functionality, ... but it's not easy to select a specific circle if you have more then one and all have the same properties.

In that case you need at least the handle to that specific circle (or other object).

>> When i try to save as an STL file i can't find it anywhere

What does the command-line tell you while it's saving (and after that)?

>> Does surfsculpt not work? Everytime i use it it says it failed

Am I right that it does not say "it failed", it tells you more than just these 2 words, e.g. something like "Solid creation failed, no watertight volume detected.".

Let us know the exact message and upload the drawing with the objects you are working on.

>> Also when i make an ellipse is there anywhere to specify the X Y and Z lenghts?

An ellipse has no Z-length as it's a plane object, plane to the current UCS.

And when you create the object you are asked in the command-line for the points/angle. If you already have created that object look to the properties window (<Ctrl> <1>) to see what parameters the objects has and which one are modifyable.

- alfred -

Hi,

>> I need to creat and ELLIPSOID with the major axis of 30 the minor axis of 20 and the width in the z dirction of 20

Create an ellipse with 30 length and 20 width and extrude it by 20, then use _REVOLVE. No need of any formula.

>> I have attached the picture. (SURFSCULPT)

That can't work with just one object

From the help:

Trims and combines surfaces that bound a watertight area to create a solid.

>> Is there any way to find the density of the ellipsoid?

Most info that you can get about a solid is by command _MASSPROP

Sorry that I missunderstood that above.

>> is there any good tutorial series?

AutoCAD can do so much different things (and is used in many different branches) so I can't say "That tutorial is what you need". Search through www, you'll find a lot, take the ones fitting to your needs/jobs.

- alfred -

Hi,

you have to define the revolve-axis (the centerline of the ellipse) and you have just to revolve 180° and not 360°.

- alfred -

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 7 (354 Views)

Re: Couple quick questions

10-13-2012 11:25 AM in reply to: acqualife

Hi,

>> Is there a way in the command line to select certain objects

>> For instance if there is a cirlce

Yes, either using _QSELECT or _FILTER (>>>details<<<) or e.g. LISP-ssget functionality, ... but it's not easy to select a specific circle if you have more then one and all have the same properties.

In that case you need at least the handle to that specific circle (or other object).

>> When i try to save as an STL file i can't find it anywhere

What does the command-line tell you while it's saving (and after that)?

Am I right that it does not say "it failed", it tells you more than just these 2 words, e.g. something like "Solid creation failed, no watertight volume detected.".

Let us know the exact message and upload the drawing with the objects you are working on.

>> Also when i make an ellipse is there anywhere to specify the X Y and Z lenghts?

And when you create the object you are asked in the command-line for the points/angle. If you already have created that object look to the properties window (<Ctrl> <1>) to see what parameters the objects has and which one are modifyable.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
acqualife
Message 3 of 7 (347 Views)

10-13-2012 11:41 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for your initial response! To follow up. I need to creat and ELLIPSOID with the major axis of 30 the minor axis of 20 and the width in the z dirction of 20. I will have to modify theses values for different geometeries. I know the equation x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/c^2=1 is there any where to enter those values and get an output of a corresponding ellipsoid?

To follow up:

I have attached the picture. 

I clicked ctl 1 and saw this great window. Is there any way to find the density of the ellipsoid? I changed the thickness thinking maybe then i could create a water tight vlolume. 

Thanks for your help. I have been looking all over the internet for solutions. I thought i would just post here so i could get help also. I was also wondering is there any good tutorial series? I've found serveral online but was wondering if there is a really good one out there?

THANKS

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 7 (341 Views)

10-13-2012 11:55 AM in reply to: acqualife

Hi,

>> I need to creat and ELLIPSOID with the major axis of 30 the minor axis of 20 and the width in the z dirction of 20

Create an ellipse with 30 length and 20 width and extrude it by 20, then use _REVOLVE. No need of any formula.

>> I have attached the picture. (SURFSCULPT)

That can't work with just one object

From the help:

Trims and combines surfaces that bound a watertight area to create a solid.

>> Is there any way to find the density of the ellipsoid?

Most info that you can get about a solid is by command _MASSPROP

Sorry that I missunderstood that above.

>> is there any good tutorial series?

AutoCAD can do so much different things (and is used in many different branches) so I can't say "That tutorial is what you need". Search through www, you'll find a lot, take the ones fitting to your needs/jobs.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
acqualife
Message 5 of 7 (336 Views)

10-13-2012 12:14 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you so much for your help. I just have one more question

Create an ellipse with 30 length and 20 width and extrude it by 20, then use _REVOLVE. No need of any formula.

When i do that this is what i get (attached file)

This is the steps i am using.

ellipse

a

extrude

all

revolve

all

So basicly i would like the ellipsoid to be at the length of the extrusion but to be an ellipsoid at that point. It seems it is extruding the half arc of the ellipse and then when i revolve it it is only revolving the length of the semi-minor axis in the z direction. 

Thanks again!!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 7 (331 Views)

10-13-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: acqualife

Hi,

you have to define the revolve-axis (the centerline of the ellipse) and you have just to revolve 180° and not 360°.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
acqualife
Message 7 of 7 (327 Views)

10-13-2012 12:47 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to need to try a different approach. I'm thinking im going to have to loft multiple ellipses to get what i want. I tried what you said but it wont let me revolve around the center line(which is the same as the major axis).  Maybe im doing it wrong. I have attached two pictures to try and explain better. I think even if i was able to revolve the other side it isn't going to turn out right. What i need is an ellipsoid with a major axis of 30- minor axis of 20- and it to go +15 in the z direction and -15 i the z direction. Thank you very much for you help i truely appreciate it!!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.