Did you mean: 

Corrupt files?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
deral33k
1287 Views, 10 Replies

Corrupt files?

For the second time today, I have created a drawing, saved it, printed it, and closed AutoCAD. After reviewing the printed drawing, I needed to make corrections, so I attempted to open the file and it just opens as the blank "Drawing 1." I have tried to recover as well as inserting as a block, and changing the .bak file to .dwg (changing the actual extension, not adding .dwg to [name].bak.dwg) but get nothing. There are also no .sv$ files to try and open either.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything else I can try? Or am I just going to have to create this drawing a third time and hope this one works?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: deral33k

deral33k wrote:

..... I attempted to open the file and it just opens as the blank "Drawing 1."

That makes no sense.

How are you opening the drawing? By drag+drop? By the OPEN command? By Sheet Set Manager? By the recent file list on the application menu?

Do you have command line logging enabled so that you can review the command line history? Maybe something occurred that you missed initially on the command line.

When you "open" the drawing, and then all you see is "Drawing1.dwg", is there anything else happening? No errors? Any command line messages?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 11
deral33k
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

That makes no sense.

How are you opening the drawing? By drag+drop? By the OPEN command? By Sheet Set Manager? By the recent file list on the application menu?

I have tried by opening via windows explorer, the open command, and by recent file. I just tried to drag and drop into the command line and it tells me the file is not a valid drawing, which is the same error I have been getting.

Message 4 of 11
justshutup

@deral33k wrote:

@rkmcswain wrote:

That makes no sense.

I have tried by opening via windows explorer, the open command, and by recent file. I just tried to drag and drop into the command line and it tells me the file is not a valid drawing, which is the same error I have been getting.

Post one of your problem dwg's.

Message 5 of 11
deral33k
in reply to: justshutup

@justshutup wrote:

Attached

Message 6 of 11
justshutup

@deral33k wrote:

@justshutup wrote:

Attached

It opens in Draftsight.  I was able to -PURGE, AUDIT, and RECOVER in Draftsight which reduced your file size by not quite half.  It still won't open in ACAD (2014 & 2015).

Message 7 of 11
deral33k

@justshutup wrote:

It opens in Draftsight.  I was able to -PURGE, AUDIT, and RECOVER in Draftsight which reduced your file size by not quite half.  It still won't open in ACAD (2014 & 2015).

Thank you!

Message 8 of 11
justshutup

@deral33k wrote:

@justshutup wrote:

Thank you!

Just for giggles I did a DXFOUT from Draftsight.  The dxf opens in ACAD and I was able to save it in ACAD as a dwg and it now opens in ACAD.  Sheesh; what a process...

Message 9 of 11
deral33k

@justshutup wrote:

@deral33k wrote:

@justshutup wrote:

Thank you!

Just for giggles I did a DXFOUT from Draftsight.  The dxf opens in ACAD and I was able to save it in ACAD as a dwg and it now opens in ACAD.  Sheesh; what a process...

This is even better. I'm just left wondering why it would open in Draftsight but not ACAD. Suppose it does not matter at this point, but I now have an additional TS step to do if I encounter a similar issue. Thank you again.

Message 10 of 11
rkmcswain

deral33k wrote:..... I'm just left wondering why it would open in Draftsight but not ACAD.

I have no insider knowledge on this, but I suspect one reason could be that AutoCAD is performing a more stringent data analysis and rejecting a file that doesn't meet the file type specs, where another CAD program may just bypass errors and deliver a result, even if the result is inaccurate or incomplete.

On the other hand, I have created a DXF file using Civil 3D 2013 that could not be opened using any Autodesk product. That is a totally different problem (You have to remove the Geolocation data before exporting to DXF)

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 11 of 11
jggerth1
in reply to: rkmcswain

The bad drawing will open in 2011 vanilla acad,  and audit shows 7 AcDbHatch objects that could not be repaired and were erased.

Purging repeatedly until niothing was left to purge, and then running AUDIT again found 3800 errors., after which I could purge out yet another block and layer.

Can't export to autocad because

"Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of
this application."

Can't open in 2014, and trying to cut & paste to 2014 give me a ton of attributes that want values.

fundamental problem seems to be newer AEC objects - and I don't know of any way to explode just those, w/o exploding all the blocks that are being used.

<edit>

Interestingly enough, although the drawing saved from 2011 won't open in 2014(and noe errors are listed), all the block definitions end up in Drawing1 in 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost