Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy text from Autocad to paste into Word question.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
albionpjl
5888 Views, 3 Replies

Copy text from Autocad to paste into Word question.

I have had a search for this but can't find anything recently posted.

I frequently have to transfer objects including text from Autocad to Word.

Until Win 7, I used a dxf importer in word, but this is no longer possible in versions of MS office which work in Win 7.

So for the last year I have been using the copy/paste commands.

I sorted out the niggling issues (like the lines must have zero thickness and linetype needs to be continuous and limits need to be set close around the borders of the objects) but one issue remains which is basically driving me shanny! (Norfolk expression meaning 'nuts')

When I paste into word, sometimes the text comes in as text when I convert into Word objects, and sometimes the text is curves when I convert into Word objects and I CANNOT work out what causes it to work sometimes and not work at others.

I have tried changing my font in cad. I have tried saving as an r12 dxf and copying from that. I have tried saving as r200dwg and r2013 dwg and copying from those, but in a drawing where the text is pasting into word as curves, nothing has worked.

Yet, some of the time, the text pastes in as text.

Does anyone have any ideas what may affect this?

I'm actually using C3d 2014 but using it really as just autocad.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
albionpjl
in reply to: albionpjl

Further info. I MAY have found the answer. I changed the text format from standard to legend and it pasted into Word and when I converted the object, the text converted as text.

The very odd thing is that I have no idea where that Font style came from. It's not in my template, and I created the dwg today and have not imported any blocks or anything else that might contain additional fonts, but suddenly there is a style called Legen which is Calibri regular and it seems to work.

I will be adding it to my template and hopefully it will work next time too.

I hope this helps anyone else who may encounter this problem.

Message 3 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if you start the _STYLE command to create or modify textstyles you can chose between 2 types of fonts, one is the (old) SHX type, as used by AutoCAD from the very early beginning ... and the other is the True-Type-Font like used in Windows.

You can differentiate the type of the font from the icon in the list:

2014-02-13 12-53-30.png

Try to set a TrueTypeFont for your textstyle and make that style current, then create a text using command _MTEXT with that style and I guess the copy & paste will make less troubles 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 4
albionpjl

I always use truetype fonts and my section templates are set that way. Or rather, they were.

What seems to have happened is that when I upgraded one workstation to Win 7 and C3d 2014 and imported my 2013 template to create a 2014 template, the text style got switched to a shx. As my other workstation is running XP and C3d 2013, that one remained as I set it. So the sections digitised on the old machine pasted ok because they contained Arial fonts. My win 7 machine however was now putting an shx font into the files instead of Arial and I hadn't noticed except that those drawings wouldn't paste correctly.

I've now corrected the 2014 template to use Arial  and it seems to be pasting ok into Word now, fingers crossed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost