Converting Polylines Back to text

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
adeebr
19434 Views, 11 Replies

Converting Polylines Back to text

Hi,

I have received an dwg file from a client where all the text had been exploded. I need to convert these back to text. I was wondering if there was a way to do this. I have looked into some existing plugins such as raster design which uses OCR technology to recognize text. However to use that feature i need to insert a raster image which I i don't want to do. I was wondering if there is some way to detect text from polylines in the dwg file. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hwalker
in reply to: adeebr

Welcome to the Forums

Unfortunately there is no way for Autocad to recognise polylines as text.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 12
pendean

Print it then run it through your scanner's OCR software.
Message 4 of 12
adeebr
in reply to: pendean

That's sort of what I am trying to do right now. However most online OCR softwares that I am finding aren't doing a very good job at recognizing the text. Here is what I have done so far:

- Take a screen capture and run the screen capture through an ocr software.

- Take a screen capture, edit the image in gimp to invert the image which would make it more readable by an ocr software

- JPGOUT command however that is pretty much the same as screen capture

- Plot to pdf but the pdf is not big enough and I can't zoom into the words 

I have attached a screen capture of a word that I am trying to recognize.

Message 5 of 12
pendean

Print to paper, black letter on white paper, and run it through a scanner with OCR software. You need to get a quality OCR software (paid): I've never used a free one on the web that was worth much, especially if you are asking it to find dark blue letters on a black background.

BLACK letters on a WHITE background is the way to get good performance out of OCR software.

Or start typing: I suspect you've wasted more time finding a fix already?

Message 6 of 12
rkmcswain

adeebr wrote:

I have received an dwg file from a client where all the text had been exploded. I need to convert these back to text.

I'm curious why you're looking for a technical solution for what seems to be a communication problem?

Why did your client explode the text?

Have you asked him for a version where the text is not exploded?

Surely your client wants to help you and not cause you to spend more time on his project.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 12
adeebr
in reply to: rkmcswain

Unforetunately I do not know why our client keeps sending files with exploded text. Since we've tried asking them but they didn't change. The thing we are separated from these CAD files by 2 degrees. Our client gets it from someone else.

Message 8 of 12
adeebr
in reply to: pendean

Thank you. I am developing a program that uses OCR technology to pickup the exlploded text. 

Message 9 of 12
sopcic2

I had something similar occur to me when importing from a PDF. *using AutoCAD LT 2018 * I was able to convert my broken text to text with Insert>Recognize SHX Text

Message 10 of 12
sharpl
in reply to: sopcic2

Can you please detail the steps? Thank you! 

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 12
cadffm
in reply to: sharpl

When you start the PDFIMPORT you will see what that mean.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/AutoC...

- Sebastian -
Message 12 of 12
jomcardle
in reply to: sopcic2

This worked really well!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost