Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compatiability between AutoCAD and ArcGIS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
htr_anderson
360 Views, 3 Replies

compatiability between AutoCAD and ArcGIS

How can I transfer an AutoCAD dwg. into ArcGIS without losing the text and annotation?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

besides of that these two systems are absolutly different (CAD vs. GIS) your first try could be to save your drawing as DXF (maybe in an older format like DXF2007) and load it in ArcGIS (it can import DXF).

But it depends very strong on what types of objects are used in the DWG, at what coordinates the drawing was created (in any geographic projection system or not), so it's an adventure, but at least there is no "this one way" option to get all transfered. CAD-systems can create objects unknown to GIS at all (e.g. solids, parametrics, layouts, ...) and that might need some work to get it transfered.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4

I know that by bringing it into GIS as a CSV file I can get the points and labels, but none og the symbology will tranfer with it. I then have to add all the symbols in the GIS program. I was just hoping to avoid this extra step, thanks for the insight Alfred.

Message 4 of 4

Hi,

>> I know that by bringing it into GIS as a CSV file

Do you speak only about text objects? Because I would not know any way to transfer lines or polygons as CSV-files.

If you need only the text-position and -content as CSV you can use command _DATAEXTRACTION (>>>details<<<).

If you have Map3D and not just plain AutoCAD you have additional options to create SHP-files for ArcGIS, if so let me know that.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost