Did you mean: 

Command line docking behavior - HELP!

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ACADuser
3298 Views, 5 Replies

Command line docking behavior - HELP!

I have just started working with 2015 (previously using 2012). I have not been able to figure out how to dock the command line below or above a docked tool palette. Is this even possible anymore?

It seems I can only dock the command line above the ribbon or below the drawing area. I have dual monitors and the application window spans both displays. When docked the command line spans both displays as well - not good. I also have various tool palettes docked to one side of the drawing area. In previous versions I have docked the command line below one of the tool palettes. The ribbon is such a waste of screen real estate, vertically yes but also there is a huge void to right of the ribbon when the application spans two displays. I am thinking I can float the command line in that area....just tried that as I was typing this and I can't seem to get that to work either as I can't seem to prevent it from docking. There is no "allow docking" to uncheck like the tool palettes have (right click on tool palette).

Any help trying to get this setup or possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: ACADuser

"...how to dock the command line below or above a docked tool palette.."

Can you provide a screenshot from 2012 and from 2015?
Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

Sounds like you were docking the command palette left or right.  That ability was removed a release or two (or three) ago.  Now its limited to being docked top or bottom.

There are a couple of auto-hide options for the Ribbon which may be useful to explore.  Alternatively you could fill up the extra space with additional panels.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
ACADuser
in reply to: pendean

The image below shows how I currently have it setup in 2015. I have no screenshot of the 2012 setup. Our IT people said I only have one license and can't have both versions installed on the same machine, so they removed 2012.

In 2012 I was able to dock the command line on top of or below other palettes. Multiple palettes can still be docked this way (above/below each other) in 2015 but not the command line. I did find a way to float the command line within the void next to the ribbon. Hold down the key while moving the command line (dotted handle) and it will not dock. Attached also shows the placement of the command line (floating) using this method.

2015 Autocad Workspace Arrangement.png

EDIT:  The image may appear poor but is actually quite clear, just change the zoom level in your browser.

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 5 of 6
ACADuser
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Sounds like you were docking the command palette left or right.  That ability was removed a release or two (or three) ago.  Now its limited to being docked top or bottom.

There are a couple of auto-hide options for the Ribbon which may be useful to explore.  Alternatively you could fill up the extra space with additional panels.

The command line was actually docked to botton of a palette.  Try moving palettes around on your screen with "allow docking" checked on (right click the bar where the palette heading is).  The command line in 2012 had the "allow docking" option.  Seems the code changed after 2012 with how the command line interacts with the interface. 

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 6 of 6
ACADuser

My post above with the screenshot should read "Hold down the CONTROL key while moving the command line (dotted handle) and it will not dock."  For some reason the forum did not like the formatting, nor was I able to edit it.

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost