Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIRCLES, ARCS, AND RECTANGLES COME OUT AS LINES

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jman946
2589 Views, 4 Replies

CIRCLES, ARCS, AND RECTANGLES COME OUT AS LINES

I have just downloaded the Educational/Student version of AutoCAD 2014 and i have been experiencing some problems with drawing. It's probably just me forgetting to change something in the settings but i can't seem to figure it out. While drawing all i can draw is lines. i can't draw a line off of another line, i can't draw a rectangle, a circle, nor an arc. It all doesn't seem right. and it is REALLY limiting me to my drawing practice. Hope somebody can Help with this problem 🙂 Thank you!

As you can see in the attatchment, it tells me to select a diameter/radius of the circle in the command prompt but on the screen the circle comes out as a straight line.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nrz13
in reply to: Jman946

You need to adjust your view, as you are currently viewing everything from the (right) side.  Click on the ViewCube in the upper-right-hand side of your drawing to select a different view.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 5
PatrickHughes

AutoCAD will always draw on the current x-y plane. in addition to nrz13's response a simple PLAN command will immediately set your view to enable you to see what plane you are on. You can adjust the current plane with the UCS command. If you intend to do work in 3D you'll need to know and understand how the UCS works.

Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
Developer of CadTempo - Cad Time Tracking
www.cadtempo.com
Message 4 of 5
Shari-aec

A really nice way to quicly get back to drawing on the world XY plane is as follows:

UCS <enter><enter>

PLAN <enter><enter>

I'm sure sure there is a command that does both at once, but this is really quick for me, Cheers, Shari

Message 5 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Shari-aec

@Shari-aec wrote:

A really nice way to quicly get back to drawing on the world XY plane is as follows:

UCS <enter><enter>

PLAN <enter><enter>

I'm sure sure there is a command that does both at once, but this is really quick for me, Cheers, Shari

It's not a command, but a System Variable.  Setting UCSFOLLOW to 1 will make it so that every time you change the UCS, it will automatically go into plan view in the now-current one, so the UCS command above would do by itself [whether you hit Enter twice to go into the WCS or specify a UCS by some other option], without the follow-up PLAN command.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost