Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing pdf to dwg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anthony
10583 Views, 10 Replies

Changing pdf to dwg

Hi all, I recently saw a demonstration of a new software feature to AutoCAD 2014 that enables a pdf to be converted to dwg format by sketching the lines over the pdf underaly. I cannot remember what the software feature was called, could anyone tell me what it ? Thanks

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: Anthony

HI,

AFAIK there is no such new feature in plain AutoCAD 2014.

You can only use object snap to PFD underlay elements - everything else - the work of your hands.

I also know that you can convert PDF to DWG inside AutoCAD with ToolPac from DotSoft.

I use Inkscape when I need to convert PDF to DWG - it allows to save to DXF format.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 11
dbroad

PDFATTACH command?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dbroad

Yes but as Maxim said you would still need to trace the PDF into Modelspace if you wanted to "change" something.

But then you would not be "changing" the PDF anyway.

Message 5 of 11
pendean

Are you thinking of Autodesk's Raster Design add-on? it's not a feature of 2014, it's an add-on to AutoCAD and has been around for many years. Otherwise you are descirbing PDFATTACH command..
Message 6 of 11
dbroad
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

Read the OP again.  That is what he asked for.  I'm just responding to that. 

"that enables a pdf to be converted to dwg format by sketching the lines over the pdf underaly"

Message 7 of 11
Anthony
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for all the responses, yes it was Raster Design that I had seen demonstrated, this was what I was thinking of Smiley Happy

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
Message 8 of 11
dbroad

Unless the majority of your job is working with raster objects, I wouldn't necessarily recommend Raster Design.  It messes with the background color of your screen, causes issues in paper space and hijacks some regular AutoCAD commands.  You can snap to PDF's even without Raster design.

Raster design enables you to snap to objects jpg, png, and bmp files and does some text recognition.  You can also rasterize AutoCAD lines.  Its similar to Photoshop or Illustrator inside AutoCAD.

Since most of our work was not Raster Design, we decided to remove it.  You should download and test it for 30 days to decide whether you like it.

Message 9 of 11
NancyCDukes

is that command "pdfin“? I install the pdfin pdf to dwg converter, and then enter the command pdfin in AutoCAD 2014, then the vector pdf would be changed to dwg file very quickly. Hope it can help you.

Message 10 of 11
arronlee
in reply to: NancyCDukes

Thanks for sharing the info. I want to check whether the PDF converter I am testing these days allows pdf to dwg conversion work or not. And I will try "pdfin“ later.

Best regards,

Arron

Message 11 of 11
peterwalll
in reply to: arronlee

@arronlee wrote:

Thanks for sharing the info. I want to check whether the PDF converter I am testing these days allows pdf to dwg conversion work or not. And I will try "pdfin“ later.

Best regards,

Arron

Hi, Arron.

Have you ever tried it and drew any conclusion?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost