Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CATCH 22

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RobertBPrice
400 Views, 5 Replies

CATCH 22

Yet another example of a faulty installation of 2013 living under the canopy of Mechanical Desktop.  I have the Product Design Suite and run 2013 as a sub-set of Mechanical Desktop.  It has always been a bit squirrely and certainly not like a stand-alone copy..

Today when I opened it up, a window popped up telling me that there was a new release available. So I clicked on it and up popped another window which was supposed to automatically download and install Rev. 2.  Nope - it just sat there doing nothing.

Not to be thwarted, I went to the Autodesk web site and picked downloads and AutoCAD 2013 for 64 bit and downloaded the link.  When I invoked that I got a message telling me that it could not find the application on my computer.

Who creates this less than robust software?  Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get around the Catch 22??

The hardware is a Lenovo S-30 with Windows 7

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Are you logged in as an Administrator when you try to apply these downloads?

Often being a Limited User can cause an update to drift aimlessly.

Message 3 of 6
pendean
in reply to: RobertBPrice

"2013 as a sub-set of Mechanical Desktop"
"picked downloads and AutoCAD 2013 for 64 bit"

MECH 2013 SP2 is here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21818160&linkID=9240898

Plain AutoCAD 2013's SP2 is the completely wrong update to get.
Message 4 of 6
RobertBPrice

Yes Charlie - I am the only user and by default am the Administrator.

Thanks for the response

Message 5 of 6
RobertBPrice
in reply to: pendean

Well Dean - I guess I am not too swift.  Autodesk sent me a msg. that there was an update for AutoCAD 2013 when I opened 2013 to get some work done.

I naively assumed that if I clicked on that link it would lead me to the proper download. But no, that was not the right thing to do: I should have used my psychic powers to know that I should really update AutoCAD Mechanical 2013.

I did download and install the Mech update but have no idea whether it had any effect on AutoCAD 2013. Right clicking on the shortcut revealed that it was last modified on 14 Feb 13 which, I am reasonably certain, is not today.

Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 6
pendean

I don't have MECH so I can't confirm if the link was correct or not, or whether running MECH "as AutoCAD" presents you with the wrong link or not (another post here has your same issue in MECH 2013), but it's not new behavior if you've been using AutoCAD or vertical like MECH other than one version. One of those 'experience' things I guess. Every specific version of AutoCAd has it's own update, you have to read the list on the side of the webpage and the README file always (taking control of your own destiny thing IMHO, very harsh I know but very true in life and not meant as a personal insult to you my friend).

In Plain AutoCAD 2013, LT2013 and ACA2013 (Architecture as ARCH), the prompts took me to the correct place.

See attached screenshot for a tip on where to confirm downloads and expectations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost