Did you mean: 

cannot toggle between objects when trimming

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2183 Views, 13 Replies

cannot toggle between objects when trimming

ctrl + spacebar does not toggle between stacked objects while trimming. I am unable to trim lines and hatches that are underneath other lines. The only way to trim the line in question is to trim every single line that is stacked on top of each other. This was never the case in CAD 2009 and i am having non stop issues getting CAD 2015 to act in a productive manner. Any help would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Anonymous

Turn on Selection Cycling, one way is the icon at the bottom of the screen to the middle right, is 2014 and using letters it will show SC.  Toggle that on and then try trimming.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 14
nestly2

The behavior has changed a few times in recent years.  Try Shift + Space + Left Click  (look for <Cycle On> in the command line)

related

Cycling Mode

and

How to Cycle through overlapping objects...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: GrantsPirate

I already have selection cycling turned on. the shift + spacebar ( i mistyped when i mentioned ctrl earlier) has been working fine until i decide to use it during the trim command. i assume its the same way with other commands as well but its the trim command that i use most often. very odd that it would only work when there is no commands active.

Message 5 of 14
nestly2

Selection Cycling in AutoCAD2015 doesn't work for me in certain situations where it did work in previous versions. I haven't yet determined if it's a problem with 2015, or whether it's due to a setting(s).  For example, when using TRIM in 2015, SC works fine for selecting the cutting edges, but it doesn't do anything when there are multiple objects to be trimmed.  Ditto for MATCHPROP, it works for selecting the source object, but not the destination object(s)

@Anonymous  are you able to cycle through objects using Shift + <space> + Left Click? 

Message 6 of 14
nestly2
in reply to: nestly2

nestly2 wrote:

Selection Cycling in AutoCAD2015 doesn't work for me in certain situations where it did work in previous versions. I haven't yet determined if it's a problem with 2015, or whether it's due to a setting(s)....

The problem with Selection Cycling seems to be tied to the new COMMANDPREVIEW variable.  When COMMANDPREVIEW is disabled, SC can be used within the Trim command to select the object(s) to be trimmed,

Selection Cycling and Commandpreview.jpg

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

just as you said, i can toggle between stacked objects when there is no command active but as soon as i attempt to trim... well it decides not to toggle between objects that are stacked on top of one another. hopefully this can get fixed soon. The only way i see to get around my little issue is to trim everything that may be stacked and then redraw what i didnt want to get trimmed. time consuming and frustrateing to say the least.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

so that worked brilliantly! thanks for the help nestly2. much appreciated

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem in CAD 2015. Selection Cycling is turned on and is set to '2'. My understanding is that this should turn on the Selection Cycling Listbox (the mini pop up box that used to list the elements that were overlayed on each other which allowed you to pick which one you wanted to perform the command on, like trim). But for some reason my Listbox does not appear even when set on '2'. I checked my Drafting Settings and the checkbox is marked for the Listbox, so I'm not sure what's going on with this. Anyone have any thoughts as to how to get my Listbox showing again? I kinda prefer that over the Shift+Spacebar method. Thanks

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Ah, you guys are faster than I can post. Thanks, that solved it for me

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

It solves my problem too! Love it!!!
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Hi gguevarra,

I've got the same problem.

My List Box just does not appear. Did you find a way to fix it?

Are you using autocad for win or mac?

Thanks,

Jonas

Message 13 of 14
MehwashAbbas-WPM

@nestly2 wrote:

The behavior has changed a few times in recent years.  Try Shift + Space + Left Click  (look for <Cycle On> in the command line)

related

Cycling Mode

and

How to Cycle through overlapping objects...

I am having this same problem in 2016. The keystrokes above look like this:

Shift + Space + Left Click

<Cycle On> <Cycle Off>

Any idea why it would automatically Cycle off??

Message 14 of 14
MehwashAbbas-WPM

@nestly2 wrote:

@nestly2 wrote:

Selection Cycling in AutoCAD2015 doesn't work for me in certain situations where it did work in previous versions. I haven't yet determined if it's a problem with 2015, or whether it's due to a setting(s)....

The problem with Selection Cycling seems to be tied to the new COMMANDPREVIEW variable.  When COMMANDPREVIEW is disabled, SC can be used within the Trim command to select the object(s) to be trimmed,

Selection Cycling and Commandpreview.jpg

And, changing these settings turns off Command preview, which enables Selection Cycling suring the command...But, acually selection cycling has some "added features"

Example: I have two lines overlapping. I want to extent one of them to an arc. When using Shift-Spacebar, instead of Selection cycling I have the option to trim during the extend command. With Command preview off, the display changes, but not the behaivior so the result is an UNEXPECTED (unpreviewed) trim instead of extend.

Clear as mud?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost